• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budges too attached to me

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
My budgies won't spend time by themselves together without me holding them! I try to put them on their perches outside of the cage but they always fly frantically around my room until I get them. If I put them in a closed cage together they will like each other, but I want them to spend time out of the cage. The only time out of the cage they like each other is when they are sitting on my fingers. Which is annoying because I want to do stuff that involves my hands.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Make your hands inaccessible for a bit or just go about your business. I can promise they can't fly around forever. But if you don't force them to explore other avenues of perching then there is no incentive to change.
Sometimes if I'm doing something in the kitchen Jupiter thinks I have food so she flies on my hand. I say no I don't have any food little birdie and try to set her on the counter. If she won't go, I literally just keep doing what I was doing so it's impossible for her to stay on my hand and she flies off.

How do they get on your hand from the cage? Do you open it and let them hop on your hand?
Try opening the cage and just putting your arms to your sides, talking to them etc. It might seem they won't come out etc but they will given time.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Make your hands inaccessible for a bit or just go about your business. I can promise they can't fly around forever. But if you don't force them to explore other avenues of perching then there is no incentive to change.
Sometimes if I'm doing something in the kitchen Jupiter thinks I have food so she flies on my hand. I say no I don't have any food little birdie and try to set her on the counter. If she won't go, I literally just keep doing what I was doing so it's impossible for her to stay on my hand and she flies off.

How do they get on your hand from the cage? Do you open it and let them hop on your hand?
Try opening the cage and just putting your arms to your sides, talking to them etc. It might seem they won't come out etc but they will given time.
That is a good idea, I'll have to try that

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Sorry meant to add, the frantic flying might be just from being removed and then set down. If they come out on their own without assistance, they may be more apt to explore.
When I take them out they usually get their "flighties" out but when they even think that I am about to put them down they take off and won't settle down until I pick them back up... Maybe I should just leave them next time they do that... XD

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Oh sorry I ready your post again. You take them out and try and set them down. Try just opening the cage and going about your business. Don't use your hands at all to get them out of the cage, just open the door. I think it will help with them feeling more autonomous about spending time outside the cage. Rather then being brought out.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
When you say take them out, do you mean by hand? Or do you just open their cage and let them come out?
They will fly out or I take them out by hand

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Oh sorry I ready your post again. You take them out and try and set them down. Try just opening the cage and going about your business. Don't use your hands at all to get them out of the cage, just open the door. I think it will help with them feeling more autonomous about spending time outside the cage. Rather then being brought out.
I've done this before and the more shy one will fly into Oliver's (the budgie I've had a while) cage. But I'll try to do this more and make the outside perch more inviting and interesting