• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Buddy seems to have a resperatory difficulty - sounds stuffed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Awh, so sorry you are going through this, hope he gets better,keep us posted.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Matt when you say erosion, do you mean like people with acid reflux get erosion?

Braekedaun

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Matt
birdlvr466, that is exactly what he described, only it going from just behind the (what he said our hard palate would be) all the way down.

Buddy seems alright this morning, but his weight hasnt changed - hes at 402ish today. I offered him some mash and he didnt really want any yet. I still have other options to try, and I need to go to the grocery today to get a few things anyway.

He's sitting on my arm as I type now, and making it difficult. I'm trying to strike a deal with him not to poop on the keyboard, but I dont think I'll really mind if he does. :rolleyes:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Wow I have never heard of such a thing in birds. :( Have you ever looked at the website Land Of Vos? I am wondering if you could get some diet tips especially for Ekkies? Also there is someone on this board who is very versed in Ekkies, I will ask Marie what her name is, maybe she can give you some good tips as well. Avitech has some good supplemental products too. They have a product called AviGain Avitech Exotic Birds - Supplies, Equipment and Nutritional Supplements for Birds! I am not versed on Ekkie's special dietary needs but hopefully we can get some people on this thread that would be helpful to you.

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I would like to suggest trying to get Buddy to eat a mixture of food with Slipper Elm. The SE has healing properties as well as digestive properties. It can be found at a health food store in powder form. Mix 1 part SE to 4 parts water and see if Buddy will eat some. It can be mixed in his favorite mash. Once you try SE or see it mixed you will get an idea how slippery the mucilage is.

Slippery elm info

G
ary

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Hi Matt--have you checked that the Harrison's High Potency is a good diet for eclectus? I know they have unique dietary requirements, & I don't think Harrison's &/or high protein is indicated. Please check about this WITH AN EXPERT ON ECLECTUS CARE. It's not unheard of for a vet to be unaware (NOT saying yours is) of the special needs of an eclectus. Your breeder might be a good place to start. :heart: BUDDY :heart:

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
I was under the impression that pellets and any prepared food was bad for them, but this vet with 25+ years experience with birds tells me that out of many, many ekkies he's seen , the vast majority of them he sees is for nutrition, and the healthiest ones long term are on harrisons. I cant really argue with that. I was feeding him a mixture of 6 or 8 whole grains and brown rice (cooked) with veggies and nuts. He told me that one of the foremost authorities on ekkies that he knows cannot properly balance a diet for these birds because nobody can reproduce exactly what they'd eat in the wild - and HE feeds harrisons (in addition to veggies and fruits). I had been making his food for him for a few years now, based on what I'd read, but he didnt think too highly of that. And I dont know a good breeder to ask questions of.

I'll check into slipper elm, thank you.

Dr bolt wants me to start him on some supplements, but not too soon as to shock his system. The one hes got now for liver function is milk thistle and lactulose which I beleive dr bolt said he mixed up there. He said hes seen (and has one at home) many birds that he'd almost written off survive for years on that supplement.

You know, I have read that land of vos, but maybe I need to revisit it. its been a few years.

He's feeling good today - enough to hop around and flap his wings like he feels like a million bucks. He's such a good soldier when I give his medicine to him. I'd have never thought hed be so calm when being held. I've learned that its easier to weigh him after the medicine - there's a little less fight in him! He was 408 grams last night.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:dance4::dance4::hug8::dance4::dance4:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I was under the impression that pellets and any prepared food was bad for them, but this vet with 25+ years experience with birds tells me that out of many, many ekkies he's seen , the vast majority of them he sees is for nutrition, and the healthiest ones long term are on harrisons. I cant really argue with that. I was feeding him a mixture of 6 or 8 whole grains and brown rice (cooked) with veggies and nuts. He told me that one of the foremost authorities on ekkies that he knows cannot properly balance a diet for these birds because nobody can reproduce exactly what they'd eat in the wild - and HE feeds harrisons (in addition to veggies and fruits). I had been making his food for him for a few years now, based on what I'd read, but he didnt think too highly of that. And I dont know a good breeder to ask questions of.

I'll check into slipper elm, thank you.

Dr bolt wants me to start him on some supplements, but not too soon as to shock his system. The one hes got now for liver function is milk thistle and lactulose which I beleive dr bolt said he mixed up there. He said hes seen (and has one at home) many birds that he'd almost written off survive for years on that supplement.

You know, I have read that land of vos, but maybe I need to revisit it. its been a few years.

He's feeling good today - enough to hop around and flap his wings like he feels like a million bucks. He's such a good soldier when I give his medicine to him. I'd have never thought hed be so calm when being held. I've learned that its easier to weigh him after the medicine - there's a little less fight in him! He was 408 grams last night.
I am not versed on Ekkie diets so I hope you can go by his guidance although I think vets are quick to dole out convential advice pn diet. Glad Buddy seems to be feeling better, just dont slack off on the palative care

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
How is Buddy doing now? :hug8:
I would like to suggest you join this group (below). They are very knowledgeable about the ekkie diet and will be able to give you accurate knowledge regarding proper diets for ekkies and the reasons why. They can explain the importance of certain natural vitamins; healthy essential fats, what kind and how much; which ekkies should have pellets and which should not; what part carbs play; how to supply needed proteins, from what source and how much. They will educate you on a proper ekkie diet to help avoid food allergens that ekkies are prone to and not just give you statistics that really don't prove anything and are of no significance if your ekkie is part of the % that will develop a food allergy. They can also help you set up a specialized diet for Buddy if there is a need.

EclectusPetOwnersGroup : Eclectus Pet Owners Group

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Wonderful post Marie. I hope Buddy is on the mend, would love an update Matt. :)

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
thanks ya'll.

Buddy is doing well, his weight apparently fluctuates according to what he ate lately, as he fluctuates between 405 and 415 grams. Dr bolt said that as long as he wasnt LOSING weight, he should be ok, and he's not doing that. He's eating well now, he loves peppers, nuts, and apples. He doesnt really touch the rice mixture that I've offered for a while now.

Regarding an update, the vets office called again today, wanting him in first thing in the morning for a vitamin a shot. Turns out, his liver seems ok upon a check test. It looks like a vitamin a deficiency caused him not to absorb food well, so his body started wasting away, and he got a secondary bacterial infection called Clepseola (sp?) which is pretty nasty. He said the liver enzyme was high because it was trying to fight the infection and also there was called a CPK enzyme that was high from his body wasting.

This was nearly a grand in care and testing - they went through 4 xrays, blood tests out the wazoo (he called and order a few more tests from the blood he send in originally), a scrape from the erosion in his throat, and a cloacal thingy test. They saved him, for sure, but OMG they can get expensive. Quick. :eek: I'm just now getting over it.

He is getting better at taking medicine - he sort of takes it willingly now. He's also getting sweeter, making cute noises while being held with the towel occasionally.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Poor little guy. I hope he gets to feeling better real soon. That's so cute he's starting to enjoy the towel cuddle. Ruby likes towel wraps a lot. Were you taught the proper time to weigh him for accurate weight readings? :)

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
apparently not, can you enlighten me please? I was just kinda taking an average throughout the day.

southernbirds

Glad to hear that your Buddy is responding so well to treatment. Vet bill can be enormous and hopefully this will be his last illness forever. I hope that the New Year will be a healthy one. Best wishes to you and Buddy!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
apparently not, can you enlighten me please? I was just kinda taking an average throughout the day.
Matt its best to weigh them at the same time of day (morning, when he first gets up) to have an accurate, consistent read. I keep a log of all my birds weights so you get to know what is "normal" for your birds. I would recommend weighing him everyday while this is going on, then once things stabilize, once a week. Do you have a gram scale? A kitchen scale that weighs in grams can be used. Glad he seems to be doing better and yes a sick bird can be expensive but any pet can be expensive when they become ill. That is one thing people need to keep in mind..for better or worse we will do what we have to do. :hug8:

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
I do have a good gram scale, but I was weighing him 3 times a day, and I wasnt expecting that much fluctuation I guess. Morning does sound like a better suggestion though.

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.