• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Buddy seems to have a resperatory difficulty - sounds stuffed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braekedaun

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Matt
Woke up this morning and Buddy the Eclectus sounds like he's stuffed up, and I noticed he didnt eat yesterday. He's sitting a little fluffed up, with his wings drooped. IS there anything I can do other than take him to the vet asap?

thanks

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Steam it up in there really steamy and leave off the exhaust fan if you have one. Let him sit in there as the steam comes up and settles. Do you have an Avian Vet close by- Dr. Burkett is in Durham NC I am not sure where Canton is. :confused:

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
I do, I think he's even in on thursdays - I just need to wait for them to open I reckon. He's sitting in the shower stall now (not wet) and he sounds a little better, but I dont think that'll just go away with a shower. I also weighed him and I'm not happy. His heaviest is at 450 and he's at 408 g now.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Good to hear he sounds better but you need to hit the AV as soon as they open. Stay calm its still early but he doesnt sounds distressed so that is good for now. Glad you have an AV nearby keep us posted on any update.

Stay calm I know waiting is hard to do but atleast its the morning :hug8:

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
you're right, thank you. I've just never had an issue like this before!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
please keep us posted..and try to keep him warm in the meantime until you get to the vet!! :hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Keep him warm (air temp about 80º)...until you call Dr. Burkett's office...they are really nice and get him in there...let them know about the weight drop when talking to them also...Please keep in touch and let us know how things go!:hug8:

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
I've got a cool mist type humidifier pointed in his cage (shower ran out of hot water) and a heater pointed at the bottom of his cage. The vets dont open till 8:30~ :mad:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Matt keep him warm as possible and get him to your vet when it opens. Sounds like he will need antibiotics. Please keep us updated. I wouldnt point the humidifier IN his cage, just raising the humidity in the room will help him breathe. If you can get a hygrometer, that measures the humidity in the room. You can get a cheap one at places like Walmart. Opt for around 55% humidity for the winter months. Also follow good cleaning practices for the humidifier so you dont get any bacteria growth in the water. You might want to get some handfeeding formula as well in case you need to supplement his feedings.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hoping he feels better.

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
My macaw just had something similar. We did lots of steamy showers before we could take him to the vet. They thought it could be allergies or a sinus infection, and treated it like a sinus infection. They gave me baytril and antifungal medication and he is 100% better.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Please let us know how the vet visit goes.. Dr. Burket is one of the best vets.. :)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good luck, Matt :hug8:

Braekedaun

Real Name
Matt
Thanks everyone. Just got back from 2nd vet today. The local one gave him two shots (one was baytril) in the chest and told me to take him to Sweeten creek animal hospital (40 miles away - made it in less than 30 mins!). He said Buddy had moderate to severe respiratory distress.

Dr bolt in arden kept him to sedate him and get a mucus culture, cloacal culture, and bloodwork. He said they'd call after that was over to let me know he's ok, but I'll pick him up later today since nobody is at the vets office at night. Buddy sounded normal by the time we got to Dr Bolts place, but he said that might be due to exitement (not showing signs). But the weight loss is no good.

They spoke up and down about how healthy he looks and how calm he is with everyone. But Buddy wasnt happy with all of it at all. :(

southernbirds

Hope he is progressing well. It sounds like you have done everything right so now you have to wait for all the meds to take hold and I'm sure he will be fine.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Oh Matt so glad you got him in today. :hug8: Sounds like he is in the best of hands. Many prayers that he will now be on the mend. His weight will get better, he may need some hand feedings or some weight gain supplements. Usually the vets have nutritional supplements like Emeraid. Make sure you ask about something like this for nutritional support. You may also want to get a ceramic heat lamp for additional heat in Buddy's cage. Just make sure he cant reach the cord. When I used one for Tequila his cage was covered 3/4 with a sheet to hold the heat in and the ceramic heat lamp was clamped to his cage with the cord behind the sheet so he couldnt reach it or see it. Let us know how everything goes.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So happy to hear you were able to get Buddy in and have a plan to address his issue. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.