• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buddy my BCC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SultanMyM2

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
Buddys beak seems to be chipping like a fingernail.Should I be worried? He eats well good diet lots of chew toys but the tip of his top beak & bottom looks real thin like its growing new? Anything I can do?? Thanks

emilybsharp

Real Name
Emily
Oh thats normal! my Goffins and Cockatiels is like that. It grows from underneath so the top chips off like a finger

SultanMyM2

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
I wasn't sure looked real thing but almost like what a fingernail does ..Thanks

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Skittles's beak is doing that right now as well.

dorn27

Real Name
Kristi
Beaks constantly grow, like fingernails and rodent teeth.

You may notice flaking on the outside, thats pretty normal for hand reared birds. They don't have adult birds to teach them where and what to rub their beak on to keep it groomed (on the outside). If you notice your bird rubbing their outer beak on a certain perch, you may try replacing that perch with a rough or sandy one.

The bottom beak may also chip or loose chunks, because the beak does not wear down quickly enough. It will often even out after a few days (if say one side broke off but the other didnt). This is seen in captive birds since they don't forage through tough objects or may not get as much chewing as needed to keep it short.

When their beaks are looking long on the bottom, my girls get extra shell on almonds. When their outside beak is rough, I gently scratch off any loose pieces and give them papaya (which they always beak rub on perchs after).

Status
Not open for further replies.