• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bubbles in droppings since a long time

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Can you get probiotics? Also, if he's losing weight will he eat any nuts? Almonds, pecans etc

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Millet is my staple for sick birds.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, I actually don't know, I'm sorry. Probably nuts would be better. I mixed this up with a recent thread about a 'tiel with similar symptoms, my bad.

koneko

Strolling the yard
Yeah, I actually don't know, I'm sorry. Probably nuts would be better. I mixed this up with a recent thread about a 'tiel with similar symptoms, my bad.
Its alright. I'll see if i can do something with nuts

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Tofu, Almond butter, olive oil, nuts and eggs - no more than once a week - are all good for putting weight on my macaw. Try to stay away from foods with bad fats and sugar. Bad fats (saturated fats) are a lot of the cause of vascular and cardio problems. Sugar metabolizes directly to fat - not a good thing.

koneko

Strolling the yard
Tofu, Almond butter, olive oil, nuts and eggs - no more than once a week - are all good for putting weight on my macaw. Try to stay away from foods with bad fats and sugar. Bad fats (saturated fats) are a lot of the cause of vascular and cardio problems. Sugar metabolizes directly to fat - not a good thing.
Thank you very much! I will try these. I was also thinking of coconut oil.Im not sure about it though.And the vet just said 0.02 ml enrofloxacin.it was an online consultation which ended and i cant get the same vet again.So would it be once or twice a day?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

koneko

Strolling the yard

koneko

Strolling the yard
@Hankmacaw
I have finished the dosage of 0.02 ml enrofloxacin for 21 days.He is still having bubbles in his droppings.I am thinking of giving him probiotics now.I cant go to the lab to get his stools tested as my city is locked down

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yep, he needs probiotics now. Especially after 21 days of antibiotics. Just put them on his morning food for a week every day then cut back to every three or four days for a couple of weeks then maybe once every two weeks.

If he still has bubbles, he does need to go back to the vet at some point. Can you call your vet and let him know?

koneko

Strolling the yard
Yep, he needs probiotics now. Especially after 21 days of antibiotics. Just put them on his morning food for a week every day then cut back to every three or four days for a couple of weeks then maybe once every two weeks.

If he still has bubbles, he does need to go back to the vet at some point. Can you call your vet and let him know?
Ok i'll start giving probiotics.I contacted the vet online.So i'll take his appointment again

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Has the vet done a culture and sensitivity? Baytril may not be the correct antibiotic for the microbe your bird has.

koneko

Strolling the yard
Has the vet done a culture and sensitivity? Baytril may not be the correct antibiotic for the microbe your bird has.
I am sorry for the late reply.He has e coli so the vet told to give enrofloxacin.Now i cant do culture sensitivity again due to lockdown.I recently contacted a vet and he said that akio is very thin and he might have some bacterial infection or avian bornavirus as his droppings have some undigested food as well.It was mentioned in his report in February.I am really very scared now.I wont be getting palm oil soon which can help him gain weight.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first thing you need to do is concentrate on getting his weight up. Is he regurgitating or puking at all? Why can't you get the RPO? Start giving him Prozyme the Dr. gave them c Amazon.com : Prozyme Original All-Natural Enzyme Supplement for Dogs and Cats, 454gm : Pet Digestive Remedies : Pet Supplies with every meal.

My birds have had intestinal infections, but I'm sorry I just can't remember which antibiotic they were given. Somewhere in my mind it seems the Dr. prescribed cloramphenocol - but I'm not sure at all.

koneko

Strolling the yard
The first thing you need to do is concentrate on getting his weight up. Is he regurgitating or puking at all? Why can't you get the RPO? Start giving him Prozyme the Dr. gave them c Amazon.com : Prozyme Original All-Natural Enzyme Supplement for Dogs and Cats, 454gm : Pet Digestive Remedies : Pet Supplies with every meal.

My birds have had intestinal infections, but I'm sorry I just can't remember which antibiotic they were given. Somewhere in my mind it seems the Dr. prescribed cloramphenocol - but I'm not sure at all.
he isnt regurgitating or puking.I cant get any packages due to national lockdown.Only groceries and medicines are being delivered here.I'll get prozyme and start giving it till then.I have to wait till the lockdown is over.Vets and labs have been closed temporarily.I have a tonic for liver so im thinking of giving it as well

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Well you are in about the same boat we in America are in. Go ahead and give him the liver tonic, if it is milk thistle or dandelion extract. Anything else I can't give you advice.

Do you have any pain meds (nsaids) such as metacam or celebrex?