• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brown Headed Parrot Diet [Poll]

What do you prioritze for weight maintenance?

• Foraging Toys

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Exercise

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Meal Portions

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Behavioral Patterns

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Comment Below?

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

laurenf

Moving in
Real Name
lauren
Hello my precious baby boy Rogelio weighed in at 130 grams today. He's just a week under half a year old. He is on a pelleted diet (Harrison's) but I also give him a lot of things to munch on during the day. Like to keep his beak busy I'll give him macaronis and other dried pasta. Also I'll give him herbs or cucumber skins to chew on as well as snow peas. At night before going to sleep I'll give him a bit of bell pepper on top of his cage as it has become a part of his nightly routine.

I know this is all too much food for him because I think his weight is in the upper range. He unfortunately had his wings clipped before we brought him home and doesn't fly for exercise. He does walk around the house a bit every day and flies to the ground a couple of times. Most of the day he is sitting on a perch close to me while I work. I'd like to hear what others do to help their bird maintain a healthy weight. Any advice appreciated!

derin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Derin
Maybe try recall training him, you can find videos on Youtube if you need help. I know he can't fly, but if he flies to the ground he may be able to do walking recall or very short distances. Also buying him a playstand (or making a DIY one out of pvc) and filling it with fun toys will help because he will be climbing around. Try limiting his intake on foods higher in fats, and also give him a variety of veggies in the morning for breakfast, that will make him lose weight and it will show improvement on his feathers as well, they will appear shinier and brighter.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Sprinkles got a little over weight for a time and for extra exercise I trained her to climb to the top of the cage when I placed her at the bottom and get a little treat (one millit seed) she would also eat too much at a Time and I would take the food away for her crop to empty

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Priorities would be foraging, increasing movement, and cutting out things like pasta and replace with veggies. In an ideal world I would feed my Jardine's about 60% pellets, 30-35% veggies/sprouts and 5-10% nuts, seeds, and fruit.

Unfortunately he rarely eats veggies so I'm at like 90% pellets, with the remainder nuts, seeds and veggies.

He doesn't fly much but I have his food in foragers and he has to move around a lot to get to them. I actually have a hard time keeping weight on him. Flight will always burn more calories than climbing.

Are you going off weight alone for "overweight"? Or has his vet said he is?

unnamed.jpg