• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brown Head Parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunnyBird

Strolling the yard
Just gathering info on these guys.

1) Wondering if there are any behavior differences between the males and females that someone may want to take into consideration?

2) Are there any super common behavioral issues or illnesses that brown heads are known for?

3) What's the perfect (but not totally OTT) cage for a brown head?

4) For current or prev owners what was your birds diet?

Also, I keep reading that they are great first time "bigger bird" family pets and that they are a quiter bird and appropriate for people with close neighbors. Would you say this is accurate?

Really I'm just looking for any feedback.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I actually answered the cage (and play stand) questions here.

1) Wondering if there are any behavior differences between the males and females that someone may want to take into consideration?

Can't really answer, I've always heard that Brown heads tend to be sweet and I don't think I ever saw anything about there being a difference with the gender.

2) Are there any super common behavioral issues or illnesses that brown heads are known for?

Again, I don't own any so I don't know all that much, but with the general literature I've been reading about Pois in general, I don't think I ever came across any thing saying that Brown heads are known for any behavioral or medical problems.

3) What's the perfect (but not totally OTT) cage for a brown head?

I think the Hagen Cottage (or anything following similar dimensions) is a good place to start. Not overly big yet not too small. I wouldn't really go under 24" wide with a Poi, although I know people who have done it. I really think it's a nice size for the smaller Pois, specially if they come out of their cages quite a bit.

4) For current or prev owners what was your birds diet?

I believe the diet of the Brown heads can be similar to that of the other smaller Pois. I give my guys some pellets (Roudybush, Zupreem Avian Entrees, Harrison's), some seed, vegetables & fruit (both fresh and frozen), grains & legumes (cooked or sprouted). They are quite healthy birds so I guess this works :)

Also, I keep reading that they are great first time "bigger bird" family pets and that they are a quiter bird and appropriate for people with close neighbors. Would you say this is accurate?

The smaller Pois are great for people with close neighbors; I live in an apartment building and my Lovebird is definitively more noisy than my Pois and I haven't got any complaints about noise yet.

If I can ask, where will you be getting your Brown head head parrot if you don't already have it?

FunnyBird

Strolling the yard
I'm waiting to hear back from someone local but but I think she may only have senegals currently. I could pick up an unsexed 4 month old little one immediatley if I drive just past TO.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What an adorable baby! I love, love brown headed parrots! I use to breed them. They are in my top 3 favorite parrots!
Shade has given you good advice on thier care and cage size.
My BH all spoke extremely well and constantly. They could actually hold conversation with us. They usually go to everybody and usually don't pick a favorite. They are not known to be screamers. They are extremely playful. I had a female that could play soccer with a ping pong ball. I don't see a big difference in sex but I personally prefer females. They are just darling little perfect birds!

**You might want to PM Quest (Judy). She has a young male brown headed parrot name Simon who is just adorable!

Last edited:

FunnyBird

Strolling the yard
Thank you so much for your feedback Judy! We really really like everything we've been reading about these little ones. I'm hoping to hear back from another breeder...

Status
Not open for further replies.