• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brown cere on male budgie

AdeleJ

Checking out the neighborhood
My little buddy, Sam-the-Budgie (four years old) has a brown cere. It has always been bright blue. I've done a search here and have read that it's often a sign of reproductive cancer of some kind. He's also been molting and is (or was) covered in pin feathers. He let me give him a good scratch this morning. Does anyone have any good news for me? Did your male budgie's cere turn brown for any other reason than cancer? Sam is my soul-budgie. It is devastating to think that I could lose him. Thank you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When a male budgie has a brown cere it warrants a vet trip as there could be a testicular tumor or one pressing on testes. There was another post about this here on AA.

AdeleJ

When a male budgie has a brown cere it warrants a vet trip as there could be a testicular tumor or one pressing on testes. There was another post about this here on AA.
Thanks Lady Jane. I'm in New Zealand, currently in lockdown so won't be seeing a vet for a while. Sam eats plenty of carrot, high in vit A, it doesn't look like mites so I'm guessing it is testicular issues. But my next question - what of the stress involved in taking a budgie to the vet? Sam would be be so stressed out - being handled by someone. He's tame but does not like to be touched unless it's me scratching his head.

Jogging around the block
Thanks Lady Jane. I'm in New Zealand, currently in lockdown so won't be seeing a vet for a while. Sam eats plenty of carrot, high in vit A, it doesn't look like mites so I'm guessing it is testicular issues. But my next question - what of the stress involved in taking a budgie to the vet? Sam would be be so stressed out - being handled by someone. He's tame but does not like to be touched unless it's me scratching his head.
I'm in New Zealand too, on the official website they clarify that we are allowed to make an appointment with the vet as we normally would if an animal is sick.

AdeleJ

I'm in New Zealand too, on the official website they clarify that we are allowed to make an appointment with the vet as we normally would if an animal is sick.
Thank you! I'll check around. I don't even know of an avian vet but I'm in Opua (Bay of Islands). There's a parrot place in Kerikeri so they should be able to recommend someone.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Do you have a photo from when his cere was blue? Sometimes a female's cere can stay blue for many years before they go into breeding condition, usually when the conditions aren't quite right.
I'm not saying this is the case, I'm just curious.