• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brought home a friend for Pepito!

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I brought home a friend for Pepito! Pepito and I are very bonded but he always wanted to be with my pionus. He seemed to be ok but not thriving. He would stare at his reflection in steel pots.

So here is Luna! Luna was born some time last year (he is tagged) and I was told he is 6 months old. They chatter to each other so far! Any tips would be appreciated.

Lady Jane, I appreciate what you were saying about lonely single linnies now.

Attachments

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome Luna!!!

:super:cute Linnies!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is luna the green linnie? They are both terrific!

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Pepito is green - I have had him for a while and he is super tame. Luna is new and is a cobalt linnie - he was $80 Cdn! He allowed me to feed him a sprig of millet from my hand and my finger was almost at his beak!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Beautiful! congratulations!

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
They do bicker. Mostly do their own thing but sometimes they bicker. Any I have separate pellet veggie and water dishes. I don't have seeds in there but handfeed millet multiple times daily. I am hoping that Luna starts following Pepito and eats the Harrison's.

NorthernGannet

Sprinting down the street
Congrats! I'd love to find a cobalt. My two bonded males bicker as well, but it is usually momentary and they get over it. Sometimes it sounds really bad but so far it never truly is. Two seconds later they turn around and preen or feed each other. :)

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
The sad thing is that Pepito is starting to bite me no - he is so angry that there is an intruder in his cage! He is also hiding under his paper at times or burrowing in my pyjamas. I am ignoring the biting - I know it will calm down. Luna is still taking millet from me.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Having friends is wonderful, not just for humans! Im glad you decided to bring home a friend. I am sure that when things calm down, your birds will love you even more for it!

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
How long will it take for them to like and preen each other? Right now Pepito just circumvents Luna in the cage.

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
This is what's happening now - Luna is accepting millet, Pepito is being bitey (totally new since Luna came) and is hiding in my lap, Bijoux is observing from my shoulder and the other two Pionus are observing from afar.

Attachments

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Lady Jane and others please advise: So Pepito is 2 years and 8 months old now. Does anyone have any advice about his sudden bitiness? He attacks my hand now and my toes. With my kids too. I think he is angry having Luna here but also kind of likes it. I handfed both of them corn and was so happy when Luna ate it from my fingertips! Then he watched as Pepito bit my fingers and I don't want him to pick that up. I am not reacting to the bites but they do hurt and sometimes Pepito lunges and bites and hangs on with his beak. No blood drawn yet. Maybe I should remove the hidey hut? Pepito is snuggling beside it now and I have seen him mate with it. Maybe he is being protective of it.

Lady Jane any advice?

Last edited:

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You moved the new bird directly into Pepito's cage? I bet he feels a little insecure, worried, and like his territory is being invaded - all this will make him feel upset and result in bitieness. Poor bub's worried. He should calm down once he sees that he mustn't be afraid but I wouldn't house them together until they're friendly outside of the cage, personally. Hidey hut's can be dangerous just because birds can easily ingest a fatal amount of the stuff by chewing on it.

Also if he's been alone all this time he will have a really hard time adjusting to having to interact with someone of his species. And if until he now he felt bonded to you you will find him acting aggressive and frustrated with everyone. First off with all the new things going on he will feel unsettled and feel like he has to protect you from other potential suitors (new birb and your kids) but at the same time he feels drawn to the creature who looks so much like him. So he's frustrated and doesn't know who to turn to or trust. (I might be overstating; he might not be as upset as I'm saying. I'm just going through much the same thing with my Damien who was raised without much contact to birds and he bonded to me. Now he's being encouraged to be with other doves and it causes frustration and aggression to me, other people, and other birds. It's confusing for them but it's the right thing to do to get them more used to being with other birds. It was a huge mistake on my part to raise him the way I did, but I didn't know that till now.) Give him some time to adjust and learn how to talk to your new little one. Personally, I'm trying to not handle my Damien as much so he doesn't feel like he's my mate and has to protect me from other suitors.

Also, I don't have that much experience with biting that actually causes damage but something stood out to me from what I've read about dealing with biting... You say you don't react to bites. Does that mean entirely no reaction? You gotta remember that the bite is him trying to tell you something. If you just ignore it you're forcing him to keep trying to tell you and then the bites will only get worse. You should be able to see what he's telling you before the bite comes, but if you can't just remember that you want to avoid the bite. Not just stay there and ignore the fact that your bird is trying to communicate something.

Your new baby is just gorgeous. I love Linnies <3 Best of luck with him!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sowmya it could be you are moving too fast for the birds to accommodate to each other. They really should be in their own cages, not together for a while or until they calm down and get used to one another. Linnies are very strong flock birds so it will happen if you let it happen on the birds terms, naturally. Try to relax and leave them be for a while.

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Yes I agree it was too fast. I will let them be. Pepito bites when I open the cage and try to take him out or feed Luna. He is being cage territorial. He is better away from the cage. I mean I don't react and make a fuss when he bites but right now it seems that he is biting me no matter what unless it is away from the cage. It is not the type of bitig that says "I don't like something you are doing" it more like "I hate you. " It is aggression :( I am getting a second bigger flight cage on Friday for both of them. Thanks for the tips!