• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brought home a friend for Pepito!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks Lady Jane I read it! It reminds me of when Indigo, my blue headed pionus bit me on the chin when I absentmindedly picked him up off the floor while on the phone. I brought him in for a kiss and wham - he bit me. I taped the holes myself- big mistake. It left two big scars. A plastic surgeon made one of them a little smaller. I know that was not aggression - that was me not paying attention while on a stressful phone call and Indigo did not like it. He had been strutting and I did not notice.

I feel like this is aggression with Pepito because if I go anywhere near the cage now that Luna is here he attacks my hands and bites hard repeatedly. He is not biting my lips though when I bring him up. He does jump down, chase my feet and bite my toes. He is better if I move him away from the cage but then Luna cries for him. How do I prevent the bites while doing the cage maintenance? And does this mean I just don't hold Pepito for a while?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sounds like he is protecting the new bird and his territory. All a good sign.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations!

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
@Lady Jane So any tips on the new behaviour from Pepito of lunging and biting when I am changing food and water dishes with the arrival of Luna? Currently he climbs onto my sleeve, biting all the while, and I transfer him calmly to the kitchen table so I can take care of the cage. Then I put him back. The btes are not drawing blood but it makes me sad - he still let's me kiss his beak it is everything else he attacks. I know he is protecting the cage and his new friend.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Oh wow! Luna (and Pepito) are beautiful! Congratulations and glad to see that you're getting some solid advice on how to introduce them to each other!

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I think I know what is happening. Pepito is trying to get Luna out of his cage! I have left the door open all morning and Pepito is sitting on top of her cage or coming over to me by the couch and burrowing between my feet. He is trying to call Luna out of the cage. I am trying to get the flight cage asap and will do 2 cages side by side, door open when supervised. Luna will not leave the cage.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please if you have not done so, remove your dogs and cats if you have any from the room before letting out your birds. Like I mentioned before let them do things at their own pace. If a bird does not want out of the cage let them be. Eventually they both will settle down. The birds can be frightened by the presence of a predator. The biting should also stop in time when you have established a routine with them both. If you want to have a member read your posting type it this way @Lady Jane

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I never push if my birds don't want to come out. I brought my pis to a Barbara Heidenreich workshop and ever since then I learned to never force a step up or push them in any sort of way. She was incredible! Very nice in person. Her DVD's are great too.

I will move the chihuahuas when Luna (Now Blueberry!) and Pepito are out. Today Pepito came out with no biting one time but lots of biting the second time. He called me over with "Hi Pepito!" I can tell when he gives a growl and paces so I leave him when he is like that. I think the second cage will help greatly. Thursday! I can't wait for a solid routine to happen too!
@Lady Jane do you mean with the @ symbol in the front? Yes I did that in the last post.

Please if you have not done so, remove your dogs and cats if you have any from the room before letting out your birds. Like I mentioned before let them do things at their own pace. If a bird does not want out of the cage let them be. Eventually they both will settle down. The birds can be frightened by the presence of a predator. The biting should also stop in time when you have established a routine with them both. If you want to have a member read your posting type it this way @Lady Jane

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Yes your tag of my name worked.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bluebarry is adorable! Congratulations! :starshower1:

I love the new cage! I was going to comment on the blue pedi perch you had, as it is not a good one, they must have a smooth edge... but I see in the new cage you have a pink Hagen(living world) one that should have a smooth edge :) (Best get rid of the old blue one, they can hurt your birds feet)

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
It looks like what Pepito is doing is nesting behaviour - I am not sure. I have a pile of apple branches on the floor to make into perches and he keeps going into them and hiding. He and Blueberry are calling.

flyingsowm

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I took Pepito out for our normal routine of having lunch together. At first he hopped on my sleeve and started biting it and the skin of my hand. I talked to him and brought him to the kitchen table and set him down. Imade a fart sound with my lips that he does when he is saying hi to things. Immediately his eyes stopped pinning and he calmed down and we played the blinking game (I blink, he blinks). Then he came over an preened my hair for a second and played the farting game with my finger - when my fingernail and his beak touch I make a farting noise. He usually does it but is not there yet.

He really does not like when I offer food in the cage like millet but Bluebery loves when I offer it. He touches her beak to my fingertip and he is not a hand-tamed bird!

Attachments