• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brooding chicks: an "I'm just curious" questions

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a bit of a cold at the moment, so I've amused my throbbing, stuffy head with videos today. I watched one in which a pair of Japanese Tits raised a clutch of 11 (!) to fledging. It was pretty amazing to watch the chicks all react at once when one of the parents arrived with a nice juicy grub or something else for them. All those little, yellow beaks open hoping for a meal!

I noticed the female would occasionally take a deep dive head first into the pile of chicks. I'm guessing she was cleaning the nest beneath them?
And I've seen videos of wild birds either removing the chicks' waste from the nest or eating it. What do parrots generally do when allowed to raise their own chicks?
And is the poop from all baby birds the same? These little pods or envelopes of poop (at least that's what it looked like to me).
What is a typical percentage of chicks that survive to adulthood? It seemed to me that 11 was an amazing feat for those Tit parents!

Anyway, sorry to be like the 7 yo on a car trip with a million questions. If anyone has experience they could share, my curious brain would be most grateful.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew