• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brooders

ashbirdlady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
I am wondering what you all use for a brooder? I have all adopted birds with unknown health issues and origins. I want to be prepared in case one gets sick. Would love to hear what you use and if you have made your own. Portable?
Thanks

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you mean a hospital cage?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hospital cages (a brooder is for tiny babies) can be made from almost any thing. A plastic tub, an aquarium or even a regular carrying cage with towel around it. The main things are to restrict activity and to maintain extra heat. If you are lucky enough to have an oxygen concentrator or a nebulizer, they can be used for those as well.

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
Would be cool to make one but am concerned about keeping the temp steady.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can either put a heating pad under it on a towel and with towel between the box and the heating pad, or you can get a ceramic heat lamp and put it above the cage. You can keep it closer or farther away from the cage to adjust the heat.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What kind of adopted birds do you have? Is it the Grey and the B&G Macaw I see on the bottom of your post?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I also have poicephalus, quakers, cockatiels, budgies and a gold capped conure
Nice!! I do not think you have shared pics of your fluff butts have you??? If so point me in the direction please- there are never enough birdie pics to look at lol.

I am guessing you are aware that it is important to not keep your B&G in the same air supply as your dusty birds aren't you? Some people are not aware of how deadly dusty birds are to macaws and in particular B&G's.

ashbirdlady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
Nice!! I do not think you have shared pics of your fluff butts have you??? If so point me in the direction please- there are never enough birdie pics to look at lol.

I am guessing you are aware that it is important to not keep your B&G in the same air supply as your dusty birds aren't you? Some people are not aware of how deadly dusty birds are to macaws and in particular B&G's.
Not for a long time.
(shared pics)
Murphy is not in shared space with my greys. Two tiels are across the room from him. I have multiple air purifiers and spray downs cages with water before cleaning to keep the dust down. Greys are at the other end of the house.

deb8ken

Moving in
Real Name
deb aitken
I have a variety of purchased brooders but my fav is a home made one ..It is made from a wine fridge , has 2 bulbs for heat a fan for circulating heat . It keeps perfect temp and is easy to clean .