• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brooder

Ynott

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anthony strong
Can anyone recommend a decent brooder for three b&g macaw chick's

Shilpa

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shilpa
:bump4:

Ynott

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Anthony strong
What does that mean please tell

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
When we tag someone like this @Hankmacaw it is for someone that is better able to answer your question.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Anthony 1.welcome signs.gif

@BrianB

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t have a commercial brooder. I use a large plastic tub with aspen chips in the bottom and a heating pad underneath. I have a thermostat on the side to keep track of the temp. I rarely shop at Walmart but they sell a small heating pad that keeps the temps in the upper 90’s and doesn’t automatically shut off like some others. I’ve found them perfect for keeping the temps right where I need them. I even use them when I move babies out of the brooder into a cage. I put it under a corner just to give a warm spot and I keep the cage covered from drafts.
This has worked well for me. I keep two large tubs. One on standby with fresh aspen in it so I can change it each day. It’s important to make sure everything is kept clean and if you use aspen make sure you check it for sharp pieces before you put the birds in it.
Ive heard of people using bread proofing boxes as brooders and incubators but I’ve never done it myself.

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
I see this thread is older, but was wondering if you (@BrianB ) had a link, and/or the name and model of the heating pad you were able to use for your brooder?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got it at Walmart. It was about $10. It keeps the temps in the upper 90’s and it doesn’t shut off after 8 hours like the others do.

Its been a few years since I purchased one so I don’t remember the brand. It was in the pharmacy section while other heating pads were with health and beauty.

Last edited:

genie-e

Meeting neighbors
Thanks!

I am currently using a heat lamp (and a humidifier) for a surprise cockatiel chick, and regulating the temperature is very difficult (and I really do not like heat lamps). I have the heat lamp hooked up to a thermostat used to assist with upper limits, but I also find the thermometer on thermostat and the 2 other thermometers I have in the brooder (a 5.5 gallon aquarium) to vary at times. It has been very stressful trying to regulate the conditions. IMG_20210823_120827153.jpg

Last edited: