• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bronze Winged Pionus Breeder in the United States

STEVEN TURITZ

Moving in
Real Name
STEVEN TURITZ
Hi there Pionus Lovers:
I am new (lol - honestly, like yesterday - I signed up and joined yesterday 02-24-2018) to the Avian Avenue Community, this Pionus Forum and I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of species specific threads.
I am also new to Parrots, 62 years old and I live in New York in a private home with my Wife (not a bird fancier) and my 3 1/2 year old Golden Retriever, Steeley.
I have been diligently researching the Pionus species, albeit it that along the road I did get sidetracked researching other species, but, after reading through this thread and all the other Pionus related threads, I realized that I was on the right road from the very beginning when I had decided that I wanted to add a 'Baby Girl' Bronze Winged Pionus to my family and my home.
I think that I have landed on the PERFECT PIONUS species for me, specifically the Bronze Winged Pionus to add a 'feathered pet companion' to my life.
I am reaching out to all you Bronze Winged Pionus owners, specifically Shannon/atomicfriday and Bethany/MimzyPottles, as you both live here in the U.S. as I do, for advice and help in locating a BWP breeder of unparalleled honesty and integrity, and any advice that you can give me to make this journey a successful and pleasant one for both 'Baby Girl' and myself.
I am so glad that I joined AvianAvenue.com, it is invaluable to first hand advice from personal experiences from experienced 'Pionus Owners', NOT breeders trying to sell what they obviously like and breed.
Please, can anyone direct me to a Bronze Winged Pionus breeder here in the United States.
@atomicfriday
@MimzyPottles

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
My dream bird too! Good Luck...I was about to get one & I got cancer so put my dreams aside.
Maybe in the future...

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I love bronze wings too, I don’t think they are very common in the US though. Good luck finding a pi!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Maggie Tarleton in Columbia City, Indiana use to, but I'm not sure if she still does.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
I don't mean to be a "Debbie Downer", just stating the facts:
Pionus are the best. Mine is turning 15 years old in a few weeks. They are thought to live for 30-40 years so you might need to consider who will inherit the bird and/or make out a Pet Trust because I am about your age and it may potentially outlive you. Another consideration might be an older rescue.

STEVEN TURITZ

Moving in
Real Name
STEVEN TURITZ
What I like most about Forums like Pionus Pointe is the ‘HONESTY’ that ‘Feathered Pet Companion Parents’ bring to the table.
As it should be, it’s what's BEST for the ‘baby’ (the bird).
Bird owners (as are dog owners of which I am one) are a passionate and somewhat overzealous group of animal lovers, me included, that have this picture in their mind, an image of this symbiotic relationship with the ‘animal kingdom’ and themselves (me included again).
I have given thought to the ‘longevity’ issue and I’m somewhat uncomfortable with the math that if I do everything right and she lives a blessed and charmed long life that ‘Baby Girl’ Bronze Winged Pionus will likely outlive me.
There is no one for me to bequeath her to (there are no bird fanciers in my circle of family and friends) and I wouldn’t want and couldn’t imagine her bouncing around the ‘rescue organizations/foster care system’ so I’m seriously rethinking the direction of my journey.
Rescue of an older bird with an established personality that I have the opportunity and luxury to see if he/she likes and trusts me, to ascertain whether a ‘bond’ is possible, is a definite possibility that I’m considering and exploring.
You’re not a “Debbie Downer”, you’re a ‘Pionus Loving Realist’, never fear or be uncomfortable telling the truth and the obvious. Most people will ‘think’ and be hesitant to ‘say’ it.
It must always be what’s best for the ‘pet’ that we have accepted and assumed responsibility for, it’s just that simple.
All the best
Steve

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Steve, we have often discussed on this board the issue of “what happens if...”

One solution would be to find a sanctuary or a rescue to whom you can bequeath your baby. Another is to assign a trusted friend to oversee it (not necessarily to take on the bird himself).

Ugly topic but hey. Life and death happen. I’ve lost 3 high school classmates in the past 2months and I’m only a few years younger than you.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
I have no one either. So in that event, I have set up a Pet Trust with money set aside for her care and medical needs. I have a trusted "younger" friend named as her guardian. Since this younger lady has two school age children, dogs and cats now, it is understood that if it happens sooner than later, and she can't take her in, she will find a suitable place for her. I plan to check out some rescue groups so she has a direction. There is an indoor one with fosters not far away and they try to find forever homes. There is another rescue, but they house outside in a garden and I don't think Jade would like that since she has always lived inside. Now if I last another 10 plus years and then meet my demise, this younger friend's kids will be grown and out, they don't plan to get any more cats, etc, and she would love to take in Jade and I think Jade would be happy there. So that is what I did.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Would not trust a sanctuary...well meaning themay be they hit on hard times...go bust & the feathers fly not sure where they will land!

Gosh I'm 57 with cancer & want one too. Do the math but my grandmother made it to 97 & Mom will be 89 so if they got it I might be here for A GOOD WHILE LONGER. N o one knows the future. I hope when I am ready willing & able I will finally have my dream bird! Still dreams are dreams & only some of us wake up & they come true!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Maggie Tarleton in Columbia City, Indiana use to, but I'm not sure if she still does.
Maggie has downsized & taking it easy from breeding...She does not have the Bronze Wings any more. :sad10:

5'saflock

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Five's A Flock
Hey! I spent years trying to hunt down a Bronze Wing Pionus Breeder and found a couple. Links are in the description:

Gypsys jungle

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tamara
I had a bronzed wing, Jordan was his name, may he rest in peace.
He was my best friend. I lost him a couple years ago. Now I don't know if this is common among all bronze wings, or maybe it was just mine, but my Jordan would get very protective of me...and I don't mean a little. He'd chase the dog off, the cat. He even flew off his cage one time and landed on a strangers head when I let him in the house. Totally had no idea he was going to do that. So I really think he looked at me as his mate. I hand fed him as a baby, so im just not sure if this is a normal thing or just a Jordan thing .
Tamara

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I had a bronzed wing, Jordan was his name, may he rest in peace.
He was my best friend. I lost him a couple years ago. Now I don't know if this is common among all bronze wings, or maybe it was just mine, but my Jordan would get very protective of me...and I don't mean a little. He'd chase the dog off, the cat. He even flew off his cage one time and landed on a strangers head when I let him in the house. Totally had no idea he was going to do that. So I really think he looked at me as his mate. I hand fed him as a baby, so im just not sure if this is a normal thing or just a Jordan thing .
Tamara
I believe it is a Pionus thing.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They can be very cage aggressive and of their chosen ones. Dobby gets fluffy every time I get close to him when he's with my sister, his chosen one. Luckily he's not a biter but he puts on a good show and if it wasn't someone he knows I think the fight would be on. He's a Maxi.