• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken wing cage rest

Kai152

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello everyone,
I am a new bird owner wondering about how to handle mandatory cage rest for a broken wing. Hopefully I’m in the correct area.

A nestling sparrow came into my care 3 weeks ago.
2 weeks ago, when he first started trying to fly, I realized his wing was a little floppy so I took him to the vet to find his has a broken wing that was healing over (most likely when he fell off my roof). He did NOT tolerate a bandage and but his wing raw so they had to remove it and told me he need 2 weeks cage rest, in a small space so he can’t fly to allow the wing to heal.

I’ve been playing with and handling him for hours everyday since he came into my care so obviously the change from that to being stuck in his cage 24/7 is hard for both of us, especially when it is the age were he is supposed to be learning how to fly.

i can’t seem to find any advice on how to handle this to make it easier for me and him for these 2 weeks. I’ve been keeping him in a room by himself and minimizing interactions minus to clean his cage and food. I made a two floor cardboard insert for his cage so he has more space to move around but no height to fly.

If I stay in the room with him, he gets worked up and starts scrambling back and forth in his cage wanting to leave. I don’t want him to hurt himself in that frenzy so I leave him in a dim room all day. I leave music playing cuz I heard birds like noise. I have a couple toys in there for him to play with.

i know this mandatory cage rest is necessary for his health and well being for his wing to heal since he doesn’t tolerate the bandage. I’m just worried this isolation will damage him mentally/break our bond. I know the latter can be fixed given time but I’m just a stressed bird mom :(

any advice would be appreciated!!

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Have you tried partial cage cover, if you need to be in the room, then cover the front and sides. That may stop the scrambling around. Keep all the perches low to the floor. And food and water low also.

Kai152

Checking out the neighborhood
Have you tried partial cage cover, if you need to be in the room, then cover the front and sides. That may stop the scrambling around. Keep all the perches low to the floor. And food and water low also.
I have him in a section of the room that has a curtain to cover his view. I feel bad tho, isn’t it boring to be in a dim spot for so long