• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken Tailfeather

DanNJ316

Checking out the neighborhood
My 18 year old cockatiel Frank was flying around the living room earlier, as he does every day, and had a crash landing on the couch. In the process, he broke one of his tailfeathers. He didn't break it off totally, it's still attached, but it's loose and kind of hanging. There was no blood, so I assume that means it's not a blood feather

My question, is this something I should just leave and wait for him to drop the feather in his next molt, or should I cut it off at the break? I've read differing opinions in various places, some say to leave it, some say to cut it off. I definitely don't want to cut it off and have him start bleeding all over the place. How can you tell whether a feather is a blood feather or not?

Believe it or not, this is his first broken feather in the 18 years I've had him. He's had all kinds of other mishaps, but never this. That's why I ask. Any advice or insight would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
If you can see the the base, like where there are no feathers, you can see clearly if it’s a blood feather. If the shaft is red then it’s a blood feather. A fully grown feather will be empty. I’d probably just leave it unless it seems to be causing him discomfort.

DanNJ316

If you can see the the base, like where there are no feathers, you can see clearly if it’s a blood feather. If the shaft is red then it’s a blood feather. A fully grown feather will be empty. I’d probably just leave it unless it seems to be causing him discomfort.
I can't see the base, it's attached to his body. But the part that broke, which is about halfway up the tailfeather, no blood came out when it split, so I assume that means it's not a bloodfeather. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, so I think I'm just gonna leave it, and wait for him to molt it off. Thanks for your reply.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Blood feathers are new feathers that are growing in. So I think you're fine. I would probably just leave it as is. My tiel Rosie, recently broke one of his tail feather too. I'm just leaving it alone.

DanNJ316

Blood feathers are new feathers that are growing in. So I think you're fine. I would probably just leave it as is. My tiel Rosie, recently broke one of his tail feather too. I'm just leaving it alone.
Yeah, this is definitely not a new feather, it's one of his longest tailfeathers. But I agree with you, I'm gonna leave it alone. Unless I see it start to bother him. Thanks for your reply.

Avio77

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Minh Tran
It happens. It must be a old feather. My Avia is growing new tail feathers. I had a blue parakeet and when his tail feathers falls it brings it to me as a gift