• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken tail feathers?

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Mika has a tendancy to try and fly to me if I'm not handling him, though he is trimmed and usually falls to the ground and lot if I can't catch him last moment. Today I brought I'm into the bathroom with me and he ended up jumping off the toilet seat, bending another one of his feathers:( what should I do with these feathers? I'm scared if one happens to be a blood feather, though a majority of them are bent/broken and need to be trimmed

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Are you able to put towels or blankets on the floor around where you put him so that if he does fall, he will have some cushioning?

layinlow

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kazmon
Are you able to put towels or blankets on the floor around where you put him so that if he does fall, he will have some cushioning?
Ah yeah there were towels and clothes on the floor, but he's so hectic when he's trying to fly so they break anyways

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Feathers are like hair and nails. In their case it's like their beak and feet. It's not uncommon to occasionally lose a tailfeather and grow in a new one. My caiques play kind of rough and they jump on their backs and this causes their tail feathers to break or look frazzled. They fall, they roll, and do all kinds of crazy things and fall. We have carpet and towels anywhere they play. They always Landon their feet and look more embarrassed than hurt.

I wouldn't worry about it and keep cornstarch handy if he does. It stops bleeding until you can see a vet.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
It's a trade-off. If you limit flight, tail feathers will get busted. We have the same problem with Buddy.