• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

broken pin feather on face

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
my budgie was scratching his face and broke a pin feather but it looks like just the feather that was broken has blood on it. should i be worried about it bleeding anymore? i was about to put them to bed but i dont want to if he bleeds anymore so how long should i be waiting? its been about 5 minutes since he broke it and it doesnt look like hes bled anymore

conureluv

Sprinting down the street
my budgie was scratching his face and broke a pin feather but it looks like just the feather that was broken has blood on it. should i be worried about it bleeding anymore? i was about to put them to bed but i dont want to if he bleeds anymore so how long should i be waiting? its been about 5 minutes since he broke it and it doesnt look like hes bled anymore
Is your vet open? Are you absolutely sure it’s stopped? If you are sure, keep a close eye on him for the rest of the night. If it hasn’t stopped, put more flour/quikstop on it and take it to the vet.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
Is your vet open? Are you absolutely sure it’s stopped? If you are sure, keep a close eye on him for the rest of the night. If it hasn’t stopped, put more flour/quikstop on it and take it to the vet.
the vet isnt open til tomorrow morning and im almost positive it stopped but if he scratches it im worried itll start again. is it possible for him to bleed out through a face feather?

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
the vet isnt open til tomorrow morning and im almost positive it stopped but if he scratches it im worried itll start again. is it possible for him to bleed out through a face feather?
I don’t think so. The face and belly feathers are so small that they stop bleeding quickly. My budgie got a broken feather on his face recently. I left it alone and it went away in a day or two. The only time I’d really worry about it is if it won’t stop bleeding, in which case you should dab some cornstarch on it to stop the bleeding then take them to the vet ASAP.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Unless he bangs it on something, it will be fine.
If he hasn´t bled since you made this thread, then all is well. You don´t need to go to the vet.
Blood feathers break occassionally, not all need vet treatment - only the bad ones that don´t stop bleeding, or if the bird lost a lot of blood and is acting odd.