• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken or Injured Wing?!?

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
I have a green cheek conure and shes a sweetheart and she is very bonded to me even though I have only had her for 10 days. She is clipped, but she still manages to always fly very well and always flies onto me. One day, I noticed she isnt as active, or flighty and is more fluffed up throughout the day. I noticed that one of her wings were also lower than the other (pictures below). I don’t think the wing is broken as she still moves and stretches it but I am scared. I think either she fell of a perch or hit her wing onto something that is causing this issue. I am going take it to an avian vet within one to two days and this has been going on for one to two days. Is her wing broken? Is it sprained? Please I just need to know its nothing too serious and curable! 631A77ED-9169-4FF8-B07E-89B20B7424FC.jpeg 0076D786-1C11-400C-AD37-DF33C8E2DAC0.jpeg 765057A7-DD44-4B89-9DEC-A9EB1F121375.jpeg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She is adorable. GCC Are Very active fliers. With cut flight feathers she won't be too happy. Please have a vet examine her. Wing problems can be quite painful.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agreed. And if it is broken, it can begin to heal wrong in 1-2 days. Then it would be much more complicated to fix, or might even have permanent damage.

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
I would take her to the vet right at the moment. I couldn’t imagine having my bird hurt and me not knowing but waiting a few days, then he gets permanent damage :nervous:

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
And jady lane I have a question, how do you start forums because I don’t know how.

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
Go to the vet now. Not in two days. No one here can tell you if it’s serious and she’s in pain.
the latest i can take her is tomorrow, everywhere else is closed right now... what else can I do

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
If her wing is broken you definitely want to get her to the vet asap. I hope everything turns out okay.
Do you know if it is broken? She can still move her wing and will tuck it back in if I try and look at her wings and stretch her wings a bit, so i dont know if it is broken But i will try my best to get the vet ASAP

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm no vet - like enigma731 said, only an x-ray can say. I hope it's not broken for both of your sakes.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Emergency clinic

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know, an emergency clinic would probably just stabilize and refer the next day. If you're sure she's stable, I'd wait and save her the stress. On the other hand, if there's an actual avian/exotics clinic with emergency services, definitely go there immediately.

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
she seems to be stable. no bleeding, eating food and fruits normally, squeaking normally and all. just less active and more fluffed up throughout the day. I am taking her to an avian vet tomorrow at 8am

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poop looks normal too? You might want to pad the bottom of the cage so she can't further hurt herself if she were to fall.

_aryxn_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aryan
image.jpg
Poop looks normal too? You might want to pad the bottom of the cage so she can't further hurt herself if she were to fall.
poop is fine but idk what to pad the bottom of her cage with. Also i have noticed some slight bobbing of her whole body and tail when she vocalizes

Last edited:

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, unfortunately none of us can guarantee you that she'll be okay through the night. It is a tradeoff that only you can judge -- going to the emergency vet tonight has pros and cons, as does waiting.

You can use towels to pad the cage.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Get to the vet asap in morning first possible appointment. Pad the bottom with towels several layers with paper towels on top.