• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Broken leg green cheeked conure

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Does he have full use of the leg and foot??
My quaker broke her leg about 10 months ago now and although it calloused over and healed ok, she never regained full use of all her toes on that foot. I can feel that she is unable to grip properly when she stands on my finger. Also, she never uses it hold food because she can't quite close the foot. The broken/healed leg is also just a bit shorter than the other leg. I felt so terrible for her but it doesn't seem to bother her one bit.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The reason why most femur fractures must be surgically fixed is because the muscles that move the feet are actually contained at the lower end of the femur and the upper end of the tibia. If any length of those muscles is lost in the healing callus of the break, the movement and strength of the talons is lost; consider the run of tendons in the leg and what would happen if they were impaired by a band of scar tissue. The movement of the talons on a bird foot is exactly like giving movement to a marionette puppet.

When our parakeet fx her femur, she had to have a sewing needle implanted in the femur to preserve the movement of the foot and we also had to do physical therapy to poor Golda's leg twice daily for four weeks to keep the muscles and tendons from wasting away while the leg was in the cast. A fractured leg is ALWAYS a medical emergency and a vet trip.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw poor little guy. Hope he heals up quickly.