• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken Glass

cerva0530

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Adrian
Hello! I wasn’t sure where to post this, but this seemed like the best spot. correct me if i’m wrong please!

Anyhow, recently a younger sibling of mine knocked over a small glass table, and it shattered all over the living room floor, which is where my birds spend their day. I have two lovebirds, and fortunately they weren’t in that room at the time, and the glass has been cleaned up. However, i do worry about the tiny pieces of broken glass. We swept, mopped, even used wet paper towels all over our floor. For the past two days, I’ve still been finding tiny pieces of glass every now and then. My birds haven’t been out since the table broke, but I do know that they need enrichment and exercise. Typically they free-roam our house(mainly our living room) during the day, and sleep in their cage at night. Needless to say, this has kind of prevented them from being out of their cage, and I worry about them. I love and care for them greatly and i want them be as healthy as possible, which means them also getting plenty of enrichment.

Basically, what i’m trying to get at is, do any of you have any tips of getting completely rid of broken glass glass? Namely, tiny and stray glass pieces.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
If you have one, vacuum the area over and over and over unil you're absolutly sure, if you're still worried after that, or you don't have a vacuum, you could put a sheet or blanket on the floor where your birds play so that they're safe.

I also don't recommed birds on the floor because someone could step on them by accident. Do you have any stands they could play on so that they're safe from being stepped on, and from finding any glass?

cerva0530

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Adrian
i do! they mainly spend time on a small play gym i have for them, on top of our curtain rod, or on top of our ceiling fan (we never use it), but they do roam on the floor quite a bit.

I unfortunately don’t have a vacuum, but i will definitely set down a blanket for them, or find a rug that won’t slide around on the floor.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Hello! I wasn’t sure where to post this, but this seemed like the best spot. correct me if i’m wrong please!

Anyhow, recently a younger sibling of mine knocked over a small glass table, and it shattered all over the living room floor, which is where my birds spend their day. I have two lovebirds, and fortunately they weren’t in that room at the time, and the glass has been cleaned up. However, i do worry about the tiny pieces of broken glass. We swept, mopped, even used wet paper towels all over our floor. For the past two days, I’ve still been finding tiny pieces of glass every now and then. My birds haven’t been out since the table broke, but I do know that they need enrichment and exercise. Typically they free-roam our house(mainly our living room) during the day, and sleep in their cage at night. Needless to say, this has kind of prevented them from being out of their cage, and I worry about them. I love and care for them greatly and i want them be as healthy as possible, which means them also getting plenty of enrichment.

Basically, what i’m trying to get at is, do any of you have any tips of getting completely rid of broken glass glass? Namely, tiny and stray glass pieces.
White bread!! It will be a big waste of bread but at least it is cheap........ plain old white bread picks up shards of glass better than any vacuum I have ever seen. Gently wipe the area over with bread and the tiny shards implant themselves into the bread. I have used this many times and it has always worked.