• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent broken feather on face

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
can my budgie bleed out through this? theres barely any blood and it happened half an hour ago but its still kinda red, not sure how quickly blood changes colors so im doubting if its stopped but it doesnt look any different

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
May we see a picture please?

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
these are the clearest pictures i could get. my first reaction is to panic which sucks. it happened over an hour ago. i know with wing/tail feathers they can bleed out through those but i havent heard anything about face feathers.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There doesn’t seem to be much blood, so that is good. Are you positive it’s a feather that is the cause for the blood? Could there possibly be a scratch there?

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
There doesn’t seem to be much blood, so that is good. Are you positive it’s a feather that is the cause for the blood? Could there possibly be a scratch there?
it looks like its a feather but i couldnt get a good look, one feather is covered in blood but his nails are long and kinda pointy so it could be either. do you think i have anything to worry about here? im just worried about him scratching his face and opening it again.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got a better look at the picture and I see the blood is going around the beak. Are you able to wipe/dab off the area to see if it’s still bleeding?

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, that’s what I was wondering, if he possibly scratched himself.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
I got a better look at the picture and I see the blood is going around the beak. Are you able to wipe/dab off the area to see if it’s still bleeding?
i cant wipe it off. the bit thats on his cere did look shiny but it didnt look wet.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t think there’s a worry that it’s bleeding too much at this point. If you see it begin to actively bleed again you can dab some corn starch on the feather to stop it.
It’s probably past his bedtime, I would recommend setting an alarm and checking on him in two hours just to be certain it doesn’t begin to bleed again

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kayla
I don’t think there’s a worry that it’s bleeding too much at this point. If you see it begin to actively bleed again you can dab some corn starch on the feather to stop it.
It’s probably past his bedtime, I would recommend setting an alarm and checking on him in two hours just to be certain it doesn’t begin to bleed again
thank you. he will freak out if i check on him at night so should i do it anyway? id be worried about him hitting it and then making it bleed again from that

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
thank you. he will freak out if i check on him at night so should i do it anyway? id be worried about him hitting it and then making it bleed again from that
If he will freak out if you disturb his sleep then don’t do that. We don’t want him to hurt himself further. If you’re not seeing anymore active bleeding having him settle and go to sleep for the night may be best.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I wouldn’t check on him in the night. He looks fine, not bleeding. I’d just leave it alone.

I agree if it bleeds again use the cornstarch trick.