• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Broken Blood pin feather?

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s not bleeding at the moment, but Jelly Bean’s head looks stained like he may have broken an incoming blood pin feather. Is that what this looks like to those of you who have seen this sort of thing before?
65559694-B0E1-447E-BA5F-FBAA2FB7218B.jpeg
7E9066B9-4C00-4D82-B4C9-97E8AD813452.jpeg
6B68D29D-EB4F-473E-8A2D-4E650801EBBB.jpeg

reetybird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Casper
It’s not bleeding at the moment, but Jelly Bean’s head looks stained like he may have broken an incoming blood pin feather. Is that what this looks like to those of you who have seen this sort of thing before?
View attachment 397818
View attachment 397819
View attachment 397821
To me it honestly looks like food, but please monitor it and pet around their head to see if any of the spots have a blood feather or a spot that may be sensitive to touch

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Those feathers get damaged by rubbing so often. It's a thing I see often with my flock. There's not really a lot I can do about it other than monitor the situation.
One thing I would suggest is a soft nail brush fixed to the cage in a convenient place where they spend a lot of time.

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
To me it honestly looks like food, but please monitor it and pet around their head to see if any of the spots have a blood feather or a spot that may be sensitive to touch
I thought about it being a food stain, too. But they haven’t been given anything that color in a few days. And these two will come to me, but won’t let me pet them…so no worries there!

Those feathers get damaged by rubbing so often. It's a thing I see often with my flock. There's not really a lot I can do about it other than monitor the situation.
One thing I would suggest is a soft nail brush fixed to the cage in a convenient place where they spend a lot of time.
I’ve tried a soft brush in their cage, and they never went anywhere near it! Lol! I’ll keep monitoring it. Who knows? Maybe Juju broke it during one of their newly developed allopreening sessions?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It seems to be about the same today. I'm turning up the heat and giving them all good, soaking baths today. So...we'll see what happens :)

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My very wet chickens! Jelly on the left.

F8C86C6B-C50D-4DFA-8C0D-E4C591891C67.jpeg

After drying off it is not as dark, but perhaps the area is a bit rusty colored? It’s hard to tell because the light wasn’t very good.

308225BF-EF32-4F98-9515-24C0387234C8.jpeg

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
After drying off it is not as dark
It's going to take a few baths for it to disappear. My males are hardly bathing these days but that staining still comes out after a while. Obviously bathing speeds the process as you've witnessed