• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Broken blood feather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I just looked down and saw that Milo had blood on his side, it looks like he's broken one, possibly two bloodfeathers on his one wing. The bleeding seems to have stopped, and the clots on the end of his feathers seem to be holding. Do I need to do anything else for him? It scared the life out of me seeing the blood! He's acting completely normally, thank goodness

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Just monitor him closely, even throughout the night if possible. Make sure you have styptic powder, or corn starch on hand. I even think a paste can be made from cayenne pepper if need be. Get familiar with the procedure of removal, should it come to that.{probably won't, but best to be prepared} Here's a good little article
Blood Feathers F.A.Q.

Last edited:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Thank you for the link! We've got both cayenne and cornstarch on hand for occasions such as this. He's resting on me right now and preening, is it at all likely that he could preen off the clots? Thankfully I work for an avian vet, so I can take him to work with me tomorrow if need be. I've seen blood feathers pulled before and I'm sure I could do it if need be, but I tend to go to pieces when it's my own kiddo :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have never had a bird that really picked at the clots. Maybe keep him quiet just for today until they get good and solid.:hug8:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Can do. He's being extra snuggly right now, cuddling up in the hood of my sweatshirt. I'm not sure if he's a little achy or if he knows I'm worried about him. It's amazing how someone so tiny can create such a ruckus

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
One of my Cockatiels, Rosalie, broke 3 blood feathers — it was a bit of a mess, but, I took her to the Avian Vet the next morning and she (Avian Vet) removed them under anaesthetic.

He should be alright until you can get him in tomorrow. I kept Rosalie in a smaller cage for the night and kept a close eye on her.:hug8::hug8:

BiggBaddWolf

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lonnie
:omg:NEVER EVER use styptic powder on your birds, it will burn their skin...baking powder and flour are fine, and should do the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
I always thought that if they break a blood feather if must be removed? Are you saying that if it clots up then you don't need to pull it, I always thought that it will rebleed and will continue off and on until pulled?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
:omg:NEVER EVER use styptic powder on your birds, it will burn their skin...baking powder and flour are fine, and should do the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Well what is that stuff called Kwik stop? Isn't that what it is, and what it is for? I have used it. It never burned my birds. It's not for open wounds, it's for external use. It's not going on the skin.

Last edited:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Jasper had a broken blood feather too today, I took him to our AV and the AV pulled that one and he found another one too. Just watch him and make sure he doesn't pick at it, and then take him in tomorrow to have it pulled.. I didn't feel comfortable pulling the feather myself because it was something I've never had to deal with until now with my fids. (guess I'm lucky) Keep us posted on how he is. :)

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I read somewhere not to use styptic powder on broken blood feathers because the bird will preen it off & swallow it, causing gastric damage. I don't know what is in the jell, though. I'd stick w/cornstarch to be safe, then take him in tomorrow to have the feather(s) removed. They should do it under anesthesia, as it's painful to remove wing feathers, as I also read, they're anchored in bone. Poor baby....

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Cayenne pepper will stop the bleeding as well as anything and is completely safe to ingest, even good for them.

If the blood in the feather clots and has a chance to "dry" inside there the feather does not necessarily need to be pulled. Within a few days the feather will die and not really be fed anymore blood. Do not get the feather wet or that "will" cause it to bleed again before it dies.

I would be super paranoid about putting the bird under any anesthesia for any reason other than a life threatening situation. Anesthesia is one of the most dangerous things you can do to a bird.

Much better to have a couple moments of pain than run the risk of killing the bird under anesthesia. JMO

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Judy and I talked about the styptic powder last evening. I have not had to really use this container at all since I got it.I just have it on hand. My old one turned hard as a rock, so I replaced it some time this year. She said she has tried it on her own self, and it does sting. I think I will go with the cayenne from now on too. Judy said it stops the bleeding very fast, and even dulls any pain right away. I am also going to tell my groomer, who uses the powder also. Thanks for bringing up the subject Lonnie. I had no idea it would sting.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I always thought that if they break a blood feather if must be removed? Are you saying that if it clots up then you don't need to pull it, I always thought that it will rebleed and will continue off and on until pulled?
Depending on how short the remaining feather is and the condition of the shaft plus the behavior of the bird not all broken feathers have to be pulled. If the risk is there that it will be bumped and start bleeding again or if the bird fusses with it and it keeps bleeding I pull them especially at night when I'm not awake to watch for it. Once Ruby broke a feather right at the skin line and the shaft was open and movement caused it to start bleeding more than once. I did not feel comfortable leaving it and after trying unsuccessfully to grab the shaft which kept breaking off further I took her to the vet who removed it with more intricate tools but without anesthesia. I also would not personally put her under anesthesia unless in a dire emergency. We lost a healthy tiel that way removing an ingrown feather cluster.

Another good thing about cayenne pepper is that is is a natural antiseptic so will also help avoid any infection. :)

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)

Depending on how short the remaining feather is and the condition of the shaft plus the behavior of the bird not all broken feathers have to be pulled. If the risk is there that it will be bumped and start bleeding again or if the bird fusses with it and it keeps bleeding I pull them especially at night when I'm not awake to watch for it. Once Ruby broke a feather right at the skin line and the shaft was open and movement caused it to start bleeding more than once. I did not feel comfortable leaving it and after trying unsuccessfully to grab the shaft which kept breaking off further I took her to the vet who removed it with more intricate tools but without anesthesia..

Another good thing about cayenne pepper is that is is a natural antiseptic so will also help avoid any infection. :)
I didn't know this Marie, thank you! :) That's why I took Jasper yesterday, I wasn't sure how to pull it properly and I wasn't comfortable with doing it myself, so I let the vet do it, nad he found another one too, so he pulled 2. I didn't know the septic powder would sting either, I will use cayenne from now on since it seems to be safer.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Milo's doing great today =) I took him to work with me and had the vet take a peek at him. She said that the break was far enough down the feather shaft that they wouldn't have to be pulled, they cracked almost right on the tip of the feathers. i think he just bonked them when he was flapping like a mad bird. Thankfully he hasn't felt the need to pick at the clots at all, i think he's been all too happy to soak up the extra attention :rolleyes:

coral

Walking the driveway
Real Name
coral
kwick stop is safe for birds we use it at school when we cut the nails of the birds, if its cut to short we use it to stop the bleeding. it doesnt get on the skin. how do you pull a broken blood feahter? id like to know in case it ever comes to that

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
kwick stop is safe for birds we use it at school when we cut the nails of the birds, if its cut to short we use it to stop the bleeding. it doesnt get on the skin. how do you pull a broken blood feahter? id like to know in case it ever comes to that
Here's a video

[video=youtube;iLcYwdIAZRk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLcYwdIAZRk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Glad to hear Milo is fine today. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.