• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent broken blood feather

urvogel

Moving in
Hello i recently got a baby cockatiel from a private pet breeder when i came home today he somehow managed to break one of the tail blood feathers and was bleeding luckly i managed to stop the bleeding, ona scale of 10(10 being the worst scenario) the bleeding was 4, the broken feather fell off. After i managed to stop the bleeding he started to eat quite a lot and im worried. there isnt any avian vets in my town, apart from the injury he still chirped and acted nor.al apart from eating a lot, can someone share some advice for further caring

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Once the bleeding has stopped, usually the bird will be ok. It depends on how much blood was lost. Did he bleed a lot? Or just a few drops?

Is your bird weaned?

Is there anything else different? Lethargy? Loss of balance?

urvogel

Moving in
a little loss of balance but he had it since i got him because he is just a baby, and recently started to eat and drink on his own, this all happened 4 hours ago, and i think he got quite stressed from all the happening is there anything i can give him to eat or drink to recover because i think he lost maybe 3-4 drops of blood right now he is on his pearch sleeping one lone leg( sorry for broken english i hope you understand)

urvogel

Moving in
Once the bleeding has stopped, usually the bird will be ok. It depends on how much blood was lost. Did he bleed a lot? Or just a few drops?

Is your bird weaned?

Is there anything else different? Lethargy? Loss of balance?

little loss of balance but he had it since i got him because he is just a baby, and recently started to eat and drink on his own, this all happened 4 hours ago, and i think he got quite stressed from all the happening is there anything i can give him to eat or drink to recover because i think he lost maybe 3-4 drops of blood right now he is on his pearch sleeping one lone leg( sorry for broken english i hope you understand)

urvogel

Moving in
yesterday he broke a blood feather and i was so scared luckly the blood stopped, today he is a little tired, there isnt any avian vets in my town i need some advice how can i treat him or at least help with recovery, he is just a baby and reacently learned how to eat and drink on his own, he started eating a lot since this happened

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
As long as it’s not bleeding anymore, and it’s not bothering him, you can just leave it. Often the bird will take care of it or it will resolve on its own. If it keeps bleeding or causes your bird distress, you might have to pull it. You would need someone to hold your bird while you firmly pull the feather straight out with small pliers. Have some corn starch ready in case it bleeds again. I’ve done this once, and it wasn’t easy. I was surprised how much force was needed to pull out the feather. Hopefully you won’t need to.