• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken blood feather?

Buckthecoc

Meeting neighbors
My cockatiel was doing fine when the fireworks started tonight and I let him go to sleep. When I came back to check on him his right wing had some blood on it. I tried toweling him and also attempted to put styptic powder on him and then he ran back in his cage. I cant see any fresh blood and hes hopping around his cage and playing with toys but hes shaking and I dont know if I should just let him go back to sleep. Hes also preening a bit and chirped a little. Theres only full wing feathers at the bottom of the cage. I'd take him to a vet but all the avian vets are closed. Any advice?

Buckthecoc

Meeting neighbors
Update one of the feathers he lost has a purplish tip. He's preening the wing that was/is bleeding. He's very alert and I've watched him for about an hour so I'm going to let him go to bed and see how it goes in the morning.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Be sure he is not bleeding before you all go to bed.
Sounds like he´s had a fright.

Have a see how he is in the morning, if he is ok and not bleeding, no wounds etc then a vet visit is not urgent.

Look out for loss of balance, loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting - if he shows any of these signs, best bob over to the vet.

Depending on how many feathers he has lost, if he cannot fly or flutter, line your cage with a towel/blanket (something his nails won´t get caught on).

Buckthecoc

Meeting neighbors
Be sure he is not bleeding before you all go to bed.
Sounds like he´s had a fright.

Have a see how he is in the morning, if he is ok and not bleeding, no wounds etc then a vet visit is not urgent.

Look out for loss of balance, loss of appetite, lethargy, vomiting - if he shows any of these signs, best bob over to the vet.

Depending on how many feathers he has lost, if he cannot fly or flutter, line your cage with a towel/blanket (something his nails won´t get caught on).
Thank you for the advice! I woke up this morning and he seemed as normal as ever. He went over to his chop immediately after getting it and ate it without issue. He does have a bit of dried blood on his wing. I'll probably give him a warm bath to rinse it off.