• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken blood feather?

Shahrn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rohan
So I came home to find my cockatiel with blood under his wing. It's a lighter red color - not too much blood. It looks like he bled for a little bit, and then it stopped on it's own. It's all dried up now, and he's just cleaning the stains. Do I need to do anything? Should I take him to get the feather pulled? I don't know if the feather is still there, if I have to get it pulled, or what?

Lo_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
Do you have an avian vet? If so I would call them and see what they think. I haven't had to deal with a broken blood feather yet, thankfully, so I have no other advice :(

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Tiels are often prone to night frights...I occasionally find some blood on my tiels and a few feathers on the cage floor. As long as they are not bleeding...I leave them alone. In over 20 years of having tiels, I have never had to pull a blood feather.

optimisticStar

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My tiel went through similarly (Broken blood feather - now what? | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum and I freaked out a lot. Also since he doesn't allow me to touch him so I could put some corn starch under his wings to stop bleeding. It's over a couple of months now and he is doing great. If the bleeding has stopped, he should be okay. Just give him some healthy food like veggies/pellets. I gave cilantro, spinach (not a lot) and aloe vera leaf to mine along with some millets spray just to make him happy. Some recommend pulling out the feather, but I didn't do it.