• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken blood feather or something else?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just heard a massive commotion from the bird room, and Aurélie screech, and when I rushed in to investigate she was in a panic, thrashing around her cage. I managed to calm her down and get her out, and blood smeared over my hand when she stepped up.

I've only had one fid break a blood feather, and that was Kraz years and years ago, but I remember that it looked WAY worse than it was. But i have to say, Réy's wing looks pretty awful.

20180918_201212.jpg

But it doesn't help that my glasses are broken and I can't see a dang thing (literally. I can't even see what I'm writing).

What are your thoughts? Blood feather or no?
Réy's still very upset and huffy, so it's hard to tell if she's badly in pain.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
YIKES.

I'd guess it is a blood feather, I'm not 100% sure though. Just in case I would definitely take her into the vet, as soon as you can. Has she stopped bleeding? Flour will be your friend. Slather that bad boy on there with some pressure, I think corn starch does the same.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Jmho looks like a blood feather, put some flour or cornstarch into a coffee cup. Settle bird in your lap gentle feel all those bloody feathers. You should be able to figure which one is bleeding. A big pinch of flour or starch on it and firm pressure on it. Hold as long as you can . Don't wash it off becuz you could disturb the clot.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes! Flour, cornstarch, ,hope it stops bleeding.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Yes I agree with everyone flour or cornstarch work really well. Definitely looks like she did some damage. I can't tell as the photo looks fuzzy on my phone but it looks like multiple blood feathers could be affected. 2 or 3 maybe? Normally, for me anyway (I have lot blood feather experience with Zane), pulling a blood isn't a huge deal and can be dealt with at home without the need to go to vet.

However in this case going to the vet might not be a bad idea. As I say it's hard to say because the picture isn't clear for me but it looks worse than I'm use to seeing. I'm not use to dealing with smaller birds thou.