• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Broken beak tip of Little Harold

JoannaHarold

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joanna
Hello and thank you for allowing me to join.
Im in a right state. The tip of the beak of my 7 yr old macaw called Little Harold (that ive just adopted due to his owner passing away) has broken off due to falling off the top of his cage to the floor. He cried and tried to hide. There was blood. It happened an hour and a half ago. I went down to him 10 mins ago and the bleeding seemed to have stopped. Im so worried. I called the night vet and she said to leave him there for now and check on him during the night. Ive read from previous posts on this forum that its important the bleeding stops soon and also coconut oil can help too. Little Harold has never been to a vet in his 7 yrs of life and is a big bighter.
Thank you for any input.
Joanna.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
I think he need to see a vet now. Is it possible to take him to an emergency vet?

Pictures would probably help us to be able to tell what you need to do.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
please tske him to a vet now

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
He needs to see the emergency vet now please

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ok honey, calm down, it will keep him calm..did you get the bleeding to stop,? Cayenne pepper paste. cornstarch, styptic powder,? Do you have any of that in your house? Pack it on the beak ..He may bite, but, you must get that bleeding stopped. get to the vet as soon as you can,,he will/ may need softened foods for a few days till it heals enough and he feels better

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If it's just the tip of the beak and the bleeding has stopped, he's probably fine. As mentioned, his beak may be sore and he may prefer to eat softened foods until his beak starts to heal. It should grow out perfectly fine over several months.

Being a biter has nothing to do with going or not going to the vet. It wouldn't hurt to take him in for blood work and gram stains, but I wouldn't consider this to be an emergency as long as he's acting normal, if otherwise sore and hurt. Do keep an eye on his weight in the following weeks to ensure he's able to maintain weight.

JoannaHarold

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joanna
Thank you all SO MUCH for your input and help. The bleeding stopped after an hour and Little Harold was stable during the night. This morning I handfed him soft chicken alternated with fish and encouraged him to drink. He didnt lose the opportunity to try and bite me which I class as a positive sign aswell as some dancing and talking.
This whole bird situation is new to me. Little Harold (7 yr old macaw) and his friend Oscar (15yr old yellow headed Amazonian parrot) belonged till 3 weeks ago to my old friend and live in landlord who passed away so while his estate is being sorted out these birds are under my care but ive told the family that until ive found a "perfect forever home" I will keep them as I want them kept together, loved and respected. I will mos likely keep them to my last days. The situation as I mentioned is all new to me and of course im learning all I can. Some things however are just not written on the net. Like for example how to transport by car a big long tail feathered biter of a macaw to the vet ?
Thank you so much once again.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello Joanna, welcome to the Avenue :)

It´s very good of you to care for these birds, to ensure they are kept together and loved. There´s tonnes of information available here on Avian Avenue. And when you can´t find the answer you are looking for, you can create threads (like you did here) to ask others.
Here´s the links to the Amazon and Macaw forum;
Macaw Motorway | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Amazon Avenue | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I´m sorry, I don´t own a large bird, so I´m not sure how others manage to get their untame Macs to the vet (You will need a large enough carrier, maybe even a dog crate could work, but I don´t know how they get the bird in the carrier). Why not start a thread over on Macaw motorway and ask other Macaw owners? It is ideal that you take both birds to the vet if they have never been before.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Pet smart has decently priced carriers that look like dog crates that will fit a macaw .. even if his tail feathers are slightly bent. Towels to cover his wings and head will get him in. And it can take a few tries. I always have quick stop to stop bleeding - accidents happen. My vet’s receptionist scared me to death when a mac nut became stuck on my macaws beak. In less the 45 seconds I was told I had to get it off and I better not break his beak or he could bleed to death because beaks are filled with many blood vessels. And since he had been slamming the nut shell against his cage and everything else he could I shouldn’t be surprised if it was broken. And no I couldn’t bring him I was too far away so get it off NOW. Idk how I managed to distract him and pull it off (straight) with pliers - so hard it dented the opposite wall but all was good. My Macaw was thrilled and happy happy and I shook for at least another hour.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

JoannaHarold

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Joanna
Hello Joanna, welcome to the Avenue :)

It´s very good of you to care for these birds, to ensure they are kept together and loved. There´s tonnes of information available here on Avian Avenue. And when you can´t find the answer you are looking for, you can create threads (like you did here) to ask others.
Here´s the links to the Amazon and Macaw forum;
Macaw Motorway | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Amazon Avenue | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I´m sorry, I don´t own a large bird, so I´m not sure how others manage to get their untame Macs to the vet (You will need a large enough carrier, maybe even a dog crate could work, but I don´t know how they get the bird in the carrier). Why not start a thread over on Macaw motorway and ask other Macaw owners? It is ideal that you take both birds to the vet if they have never been before.
Oh tjantjank