• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken back Toe on my Sparrow

Rupertsdad

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Gil Banducci
I have a Sparrow my daughter and I raised after it fell from a nest as a little pink baby. He has become one of the family and loves people and our dog. yesterday he got his back toe caught on his cage and i think he broke it. He has become very quite now which is no where near normal for him. i don't know what do to help him. My vet wont treat him because they consider him a wild animal. I read how to treat the front toes by supergluing them together but what can I do for the back toe? Please help me so I can help him. This little guy is our baby and very loved.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe a wildlife rehabilitation center could take a look at him? Even though he's not technically wild, they might know what to do.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Is he bleeding at all?

The wildlife rehabilitation center route is a good one for sure. Are there other vets in your area you could try? My avian vet will see my starling despite him being a "wild animal," and another local vet's office works in tandem with wildlife rehab and will take in wild animals, so I would call every vet you can find. That said, there's not a whole lot that can be done for a broken bone so small. It will likely heal just fine on it's own, though it may end up a bit crooked. My concern would be less about setting it and more about pain management. I wonder if even though they won't see him, your vet might be willing to prescribe some metacam?