• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing my two budgies on holiday with me

atancred

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
Hello! Hope you y’all doing fine.
I would like to ask for suggestions about brining my two budgies to my parents house for two weeks during Christmas holidays.
They normally live in a pretty big cage where they have plenty of room to play around. However, I don’t feel like leaving them for two weeks during Christmas time alone in my flat (with someone taking care of them eventually). Therefore, I was thinking to take them to my parents home in a relatively smaller cage (70.00 x 40.00 x 44.00 cm / 27.56 x 15.75 x 17.32 in).
Now, my doubt is about the potentisl amount of stress this could cause them. Do you think it is better to leave them without human company and little stimuli for two weeks or have all that but with a potential source of stress such as moving them and changing environment?
Thank you all in advance for you answers :) Have a nice day/evening!

Attachments

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I took my two budgies with me when I took a trip for my mother’s memorial service in October. It was two days of driving each way. I was very worried about how they would do, but they were champs!

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How far are you from your parents? Do you have a travel cage for the or will you transport them in the smaller cage that they will stay in for the holiday? Your budgies are so pretty!! :swoon:

atancred

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
How far are you from your parents? Do you have a travel cage for the or will you transport them in the smaller cage that they will stay in for the holiday? Your budgies are so pretty!! :swoon:
It would be 4 hours by car and two weeks in at my parent’s house before going back. Yes they would travel and stay in that smaller cage.
I hope they will be fine with that!
Thank you :) They both are 1 year old and very talkative

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
For my drive, I used a rope perch, and I tied down the toy that could swing so they wouldn't get hit by it during the drive. I also put pillow cases at the bottom of the travel cage in case they fell. That way, they had something soft to land on. Stop at least once to offer food and water and let them rest from the constant movement of the car. I stopped every 1.5 hours--made my drive so much longer, but it made it much easier for them.

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Your budgies look so lovely!

Good question though! I have no experience with it myself. But I'm curious what advice you will get from people.
I think the cage size should be fine for those two weeks. But stress wise would be the big question. I completely get that you want to take them with you rather than having a petsitter. The question is, what is best for the birds

Mybluebird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anne
I definitely would take them! Budgies are resilient little creatures and will settle in quickly. Poor little budgies might get lonely without you if you leave them even with someone coming in to feed them. Will you be able to let them out to fly around and exercise while at your parents?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would probably take them. I have taken my birds on vacation before and I have even taken them camping. (My vet suggested it!) Every 10 days I take them on a 90 minute drive to a nearby town where my husband works where we stay for four days. They are very adaptable and I feel they would probably feel more comfortable being with you.

atancred

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
For my drive, I used a rope perch, and I tied down the toy that could swing so they wouldn't get hit by it during the drive. I also put pillow cases at the bottom of the travel cage in case they fell. That way, they had something soft to land on. Stop at least once to offer food and water and let them rest from the constant movement of the car. I stopped every 1.5 hours--made my drive so much longer, but it made it much easier for them.
That’s a great suggestion! Thank you! :thanks:

atancred

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
I definitely would take them! Budgies are resilient little creatures and will settle in quickly. Poor little budgies might get lonely without you if you leave them even with someone coming in to feed them. Will you be able to let them out to fly around and exercise while at your parents?
Thank you! Yes they would have a big room all for them :fly2::learntofly:

atancred

Moving in
Real Name
Alex
I would probably take them. I have taken my birds on vacation before and I have even taken them camping. (My vet suggested it!) Every 10 days I take them on a 90 minute drive to a nearby town where my husband works where we stay for four days. They are very adaptable and I feel they would probably feel more comfortable being with you.
Thank you for your suggestion and opinion :thankyou::thanks:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is best not to put any toys in a bird cage when riding in a car for safety.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Are you not able to take their normal cage? I have a large flight cage and I manage to get it into the car.

If it alleviates your worries, my budgies LOVE car rides and Charlie has even had naps on big car rides. I remove any swinging toys and add greens- kale, broccoli, clipped to the cage with lots of water on them in case they need a sip, and take a break to offer them food and water.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
I took my conures on a long car ride to visit my spouse at his new job (in another state). I have a hatchback and used bungee cords to secure their cages. I draped their cages with a sheet to keep the sun off of them. They each had a cloth perch and the wooden dowel that came with the cage along with a little food and some water. I put nothing between me and them so I had a direct line of sight to check on them. One of them dozed and the other chatted off and on with me. Like you, as much as I am grateful for my pet sitter ( she and her spouse LOVE my birbs....well, how could anyone not :embarassed: ), I just wanted them with me. They did great. I’d stop every so often and check on them.
I confess that I did put a hanging toy in each of their cages. My sleepyhead didn’t care, but my Chatty Cathy would ring the bell and call and I’d call back. After reading some of the comments I might reconsider the toy...:rolleyes::xflove: