• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing home baby!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Omg!! Just look at that precious baby face :heart:

MacawMom87

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Brandy
Thank you everyone!!! Another question...I am needing a carrier with which to bring him home. I have a dog crate with a plastic floor that we no loner use. I could clean it out but I am worried that it may be made with an unsafe material. I figured on a four hour drive my baby might chew the bars and I do not want him to get sick! I am trying not to spend a fortune here but I know I will need something to transport him home and also to and from the vet etc. What do you all use to transport your birds?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I brought Burt home in a plastic dog crate I borrowed from the breeder as my carrier had been delayed in the post. I now use a pak o bird but it’s not going to hold up much longer so I need to buy a dog crate to replace it I think. I prefer the plastic ones as I have not been able to find a wire one that is safe.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I have a dog crate with a plastic floor that we no loner use. I could clean it out...
That's what I'd use.

I wrote this in another thread recently, which shares my approach to travel cages.

Oscar broke some of the plastic during our last 2 hour car ride, but didn't "chew" it -- its integrity is still completely sound.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use plastic dog crates I got with S&H green stamps a good 30 plus years ago for my dogs. My crate is all plastic 24"L x 18"W x 17"W (OD measurements). My previous macaw (passed last August) broke a few of the side openings. I used it for years. We drove 4 hours to get JaKhu & 5 hours home (stopped for food/etc.). She was 4 months old. She did fine in the crate that day. A few trips to the vet 50 miles one way & she took it further & snapped pieces off. JaKhu is very destructive compared to my previous macaw. My husband put wood panels on both sides to cover the holes she chewed in it. Downside is it made the crate a lot heavier.

My next crate will have metal vents. I have yet to find one with a metal vent for the back. I'm looking at buying this one next. It's Medium size & the wheels come off: Wayfair.com - Online Home Store for Furniture, Decor, Outdoors & More
1630310516837.png Medium size is big enough. The tail bends. Note the size you buy as it needs to fit in your car. Also a smaller crate provides less space in case of an accident the bird won't get tossed around in it. I also fold up a big thick towel & lay it on the inside bottom to keep the bird from sliding around & offer a soft footing. I always cover the back & sides with a stadium blanket. This not only gives the bird a more secure place but also protects your seat.