• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing home a new Caique - some questions

Cinus

Moving in
Real Name
Rui Castro
Hello everyone!

I have had my female caique Moki for some months now and she is currently 9 months old (I've had her since she was 3 months old). She has a really big cage, full of toys and she gets plenty of attention/out of cage. However, as a common human being, I work a 9-to-5 job, meaning that during the week I'm out of the house in average about 7h and she gets left at home with my retired dad who only frees her at about 4 pm, just when I'm about arrive home, but chats with her and moves her cage to sunny positions, provides fresh fruit etc. But, as life goes on and I intend to keep my lovely caique for the rest of her/my life, I'm thinking of getting her another caique friend because I love birds and also for her to not feel so lonely when I'm away (and, also, sometimes I feel like I can't play with her as she would most like - she basically loves the typical Caique wrestling and even does it with our young Chihuahua, supervised, obviously).

So, come today - I will be getting a new Caique on saturday! She is a 4 month old just weaned female and have already bought another cage (not as big as Moki's cage but with enough space for the caique to be confortable) and perches and toys to fill it in order to welcome the new baby home, but I'm having some questions about the dynamics that will come.

Whenever I'm at home, Moki is free pretty much all the time and she prefers me to the other human beings around home so she ends up being with me 90% of the outside of cage time. I've read that I shouldn't introduce the new parrot immediately so Moki doesn't feel threatened, but considering that I always free Moki in my free time, how will I manage to bond with the new Caique without damaging Moki's routine? Since they both are babies, just difference of 6 months, I think they will most likely get along quickly considering they are both "alone" and young, but I don't want to get hasty on the process and put them together imediately (and obviously quarantine will be done as precaution). Any help/tips are welcome!

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
:laughing12::laughing12:Congrats!!! You know we demand pictures!!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
I have no clue but wanted to say congratulations and I hope everything does as you plan

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Yes its likely they will get along but the danger is going to come from Moki. She thinks you belong to her and will react badly unless you make it clear that she is still very special.

let the new bird settle in undisturbed by Moki, who may attack on sight.

Separate playtimes for both birds. Moki wont like it but she will adjust if she is still able to monitor you closely

Gradually you let them play on each others cage, WATCH THIS, DingDong lost a toenail and I lost my mind.

If the body language is good, no shrieking fluffing and bodily attacks from the air, they can gradually be allowed more time together

Sometimes this process takes a day or two, sometimes weeks.

YOU have to convince Moki that she is still loved. Then she will relax and accept a new bird to play with

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oops didn't see they'd already been tagged. So I'll say congrats on your new incoming little one. Can't wait to see pics.

Cinus

Moving in
Real Name
Rui Castro
Yes its likely they will get along but the danger is going to come from Moki. She thinks you belong to her and will react badly unless you make it clear that she is still very special.

let the new bird settle in undisturbed by Moki, who may attack on sight.

Separate playtimes for both birds. Moki wont like it but she will adjust if she is still able to monitor you closely

Gradually you let them play on each others cage, WATCH THIS, DingDong lost a toenail and I lost my mind.

If the body language is good, no shrieking fluffing and bodily attacks from the air, they can gradually be allowed more time together

Sometimes this process takes a day or two, sometimes weeks.

YOU have to convince Moki that she is still loved. Then she will relax and accept a new bird to play with
Thank you for your answer and advices!

Yes, I understand that the problem will be Moki, but hopefully she won't be too much of an hassle. We have a vertical mirror in a certain division at home and whenever she is playing with me and our Chihuahua and she walks by it and sees her reflection she starts hopping in its direction without flapping the wings, showing zero aggressiveness I think, which might be a good indicator....

I do realize that the process might take some days, so I am prepared to put some vacation days at work to stay home and more present to the Caiques if I see that during this sunday (the day after bringing the new baby) Moki's going crazy or something.

Once again, thank you for your advice! When things start going smoothly I will take and post pictures of them both for everyone asking, don't worry!

Cinus

Moving in
Real Name
Rui Castro
So, here it is, the new baby! We arrived at about 6 PM, Moki was still up and managed to see her and was curious so i *FAILED PROPPER QUARANTINE* and took Moki close to her, but with my fingers around her neck just in case, while the new baby was inside the cage and she just stood there looking at the baby almost in disbelief of another existing bird in the house! Right after i let Moki watch her at about 10 cm distance i placed Moki in her own cage to sleep and she stood there normally, no show of aggression or anything bad apparently. After puting Moki to sleep I cuddled the new baby a little bit and then put her to sleep aswell. We will see how the dynamics go tomorrow! Below are some pics of the new baby, she was so friendly and stepped up and ate in my hands already! She also liked getting cuddles before I put her to sleep!!! (Sorry for any bad quality pics).
When they start interacting with each other I will try to take more pictures and post them as well!

PS: the breeder was feeding her a seed mix that included vegies and fruit. I asked for a bit of his food and mixed it with the one i have at home so she can transition smoothly (I feed a mix of seeds+pellets with fresh veggies by the morning and fresh fruit after lunch, in the afternoon)

Attachments

Last edited:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Congratulations on your new baby they are gorgeous do you have a name ?

sorry I would still personally quarantine 4weeks your new baby In another room of your house for illness reason plus you will be able to bonded with your new baby let them get used to house etc which if any fights do start your new baby knows how to step up etc and knows where safe places are in your house

I maybe wrong but it’s just what I would do

Cinus

Moving in
Real Name
Rui Castro
Congratulations on your new baby they are gorgeous do you have a name ?

sorry I would still personally quarantine 4weeks your new baby In another room of your house for illness reason plus you will be able to bonded with your new baby let them get used to house etc which if any fights do start your new baby knows how to step up etc and knows where safe places are in your house

I maybe wrong but it’s just what I would do
Actually no! I'm very indecisive and didn't manage to find a name for her yet.

Yes, I totally agree with you on the quarantine and I intend to do as you say! I just had that moment of weakness as it was a completely new scenario for Moki, but I fully understand the responsability of not doing quarantine and so still plan to do it. I don't have any vacant room, but my house has 2 floors and Moki has her cage downstairs so I'm keeping the new baby on a spacey corridor upstairs. I think Moki will eventually go to her on her own... but I will try my best to avoid such thing. In my situation it is hard to do a 100% safe and perfect quarantine and that sucks unfortunately, but I will try my best for sure

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Actually no! I'm very indecisive and didn't manage to find a name for her yet.

Yes, I totally agree with you on the quarantine and I intend to do as you say! I just had that moment of weakness as it was a completely new scenario for Moki, but I fully understand the responsability of not doing quarantine and so still plan to do it.
Glad you still plan on quarantining olive gcc was my friends bird had all her vet checks clear my friend had had her about 3/4weeks but I still quarantined her for 3weeks downstairs before moving her to birds room I only moved her a week earlier as she was in dining room which is hubby office/game room and she was too noisy for his work calls and he kept her awake nights he would game on Xbox

Cinus

Moving in
Real Name
Rui Castro
Glad you still plan on quarantining olive gcc was my friends bird had all her vet checks clear my friend had had her about 3/4weeks but I still quarantined her for 3weeks downstairs before moving her to birds room I only moved her a week earlier as she was in dining room which is hubby office/game room and she was too noisy for his work calls and he kept her awake nights he would game on Xbox
If you had the possibility, I think you did well! Better be safe than sorry, always!

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
If you had the possibility, I think you did well! Better be safe than sorry, always!
It is I know it’s tempting to let them meet straight away it’s so hard to not but it’s better to be safe for both your babies

I can’t wait to see them meet I really hope they are best of friends

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
So, here it is, the new baby! We arrived at about 6 PM, Moki was still up and managed to see her and was curious so i *FAILED PROPPER QUARANTINE* and took Moki close to her, but with my fingers around her neck just in case, while the new baby was inside the cage and she just stood there looking at the baby almost in disbelief of another existing bird in the house! Right after i let Moki watch her at about 10 cm distance i placed Moki in her own cage to sleep and she stood there normally, no show of aggression or anything bad apparently. After puting Moki to sleep I cuddled the new baby a little bit and then put her to sleep aswell. We will see how the dynamics go tomorrow! Below are some pics of the new baby, she was so friendly and stepped up and ate in my hands already! She also liked getting cuddles before I put her to sleep!!! (Sorry for any bad quality pics).
When they start interacting with each other I will try to take more pictures and post them as well!

PS: the breeder was feeding her a seed mix that included vegies and fruit. I asked for a bit of his food and mixed it with the one i have at home so she can transition smoothly (I feed a mix of seeds+pellets with fresh veggies by the morning and fresh fruit after lunch, in the afternoon)
Lovely Pix. I dont see any blue flight feathers though. This means baby is trapped and cannot fly away if Moki attacks, BEWARE!

The shocked stillness at seeing a new bird will not last long. Wait till baby moves towards the wrong food bowl and watch Moki SPRING INTO ACTION

Watch for Moki's RED RINGED eyes, Strutting, leg pants spread

I have 13 caiques and Ive lost count of the food bowls needed to prevent WW3

Dont beat yourself up over the quarantine issue. ive never had the willpower to maintain it more than 24 hours. The birds will hear and call to each other anyway