• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing home 3 yo Ekkie next weekend

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hello!

After much deliberation, research and talking to people, it’s looking like we found our second bird! There is a woman looking to re-home her three year old male eclectus. She said he is a sweet and gentle bird, but he is very hormonal and she is disturbed by his attempts to hump her. She also says she has too much on her plate to care for him. Sounds like he’s been eating a healthy diet and is a healthy and even tempered bird. My husband (bless his soul) will be driving 12 hours each way this weekend to retrieve him.

Any tips anybody has for helping our new boy settle in would be appreciated! We’ll need to acclimate him to our current bird, a Pionus, and acclimate her to him.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congratulations! I don't know a lot about Ekkies other than they have different dietary needs than other parrots.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
:starshower::congrats5::starshower1:Wow amazing hubby thought my was amazing driving 31/2 hours each way for remi and pip :heart: can’t wait for updates and loads of pictures

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you!!! Yes, @sunnysmom, I plan to channel my excitement this week by prepping and freezing loads and loads of chop. I have a frozen stash I give to my Pi, but she eats one or two ice cubes of chop per day so not all that much. I figure Mr Ekkie will need a lot more. But honestly I'll be doing some more research around specific dietary needs this week too to make sure I prep stuff that's well enough rounded for him, and get a sense of how much chop he'll eat daily. Fortunately he's already eating chop and pellets so he won't need to be switched to a new diet!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Elizabeth fetch home a lovely little one hopefully she can help