• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing Baby Home Question

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
My baby cockatiel, Pepper, is coming home tomorrow afternoon after what seems like forever! I’m very excited, and I have set up her HQ flight cage already, so I am ready for her. However, I am wondering how I should go about introducing her to the home. It’s been many years since I’ve brought home a new parrot, and I want to do a good job. Some places I’ve read say you should leave them alone for three days, but Pepper is handfed and was raised by humans, so I’m afraid it will only make her more scared to get no interaction. Any advice is welcome!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It depends on how Pepper reacts. Let her guide the way. If she wants to come out and play and interact with you then that's fine. If she wants to be left alone and is scared and stressed then leave her be and don't force her to step up or come out of her cage. Sit next to the cage and talk to her and when you walk past the cage you can drop treats into her food dish. Have you met Pepper and spent time with her? If so it may be easier for her to adjust to her new home.
Hope all goes well.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How is Pepper doing?

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Happy for you two- glad the introduction seems to have gone well!!

oenomal

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sean M
I got my Segi hand raised and he is terrified of me! We're making progress but glad to hear that pepper is friendly :)

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I got my Segi hand raised and he is terrified of me! We're making progress but glad to hear that pepper is friendly :)
Aww that’s too bad. I’m sure that he will come around though!