• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brine Shrimp advise needed!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I just recently acquired some brine shrimp (sea monkeys) and I want to raise them as best as I can.

They are 5 days old and are currently in a small "dish." It's a little rectangle container that holds 8 oz of water and is probably two inches deep with small rocks on the bottom.
I would like to move them into a better tank (maybe a gallon) but is that a good idea? How much sea salt do they need of I can move them? Also will aerating the water twice a day be a good enough source of oxygen? They are so small right now and I want to give them a good life. If I can move them to a new tank should I wait until they are full grown? I just don't think they have enough space.
If anyone has any recommendations and links that would be great!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
This guide sounds pretty decent. Just ignore all the advise regarding how to feed the shrimp to your fish. ;)

Moving them to a large container is fine, but you will want to buy a small air pump and an airstone to help circulate the water and aerate the water. Airstones, airline tubing and airstones or bubblers are all sold at pet stores and fish shops.

For a pet brine shrimp set-up, I would also recommend looking into under-gravel filter or a sponge filter. They are shrimp-safe and relatively inexpensive.

This is a sponge filter:

You hook it to an air pump like this one:

Alternatively, under-gravel filters are installed under the sand or gravel on the bottom of the tank and can also be powered by an air pump.

Good luck!

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
This guide sounds pretty decent. Just ignore all the advise regarding how to feed the shrimp to your fish. ;)

Moving them to a large container is fine, but you will want to buy a small air pump and an airstone to help circulate the water and aerate the water. Airstones, airline tubing and airstones or bubblers are all sold at pet stores and fish shops.

For a pet brine shrimp set-up, I would also recommend looking into under-gravel filter or a sponge filter. They are shrimp-safe and relatively inexpensive.

This is a sponge filter:

You hook it to an air pump like this one:

Alternatively, under-gravel filters are installed under the sand or gravel on the bottom of the tank and can also be powered by an air pump.

Good luck!
Thank you!