• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Brindle Markings & Smelly Droppings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cikim123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carolyn Kim
I should start by saying that I'm one of those people who freak out over the tiniest things and feel the need to go to the vet whenever something looks out of place. I am thinking another vet visit may be in order but I wanted to get some opinions here first.

The first concern is that my caiques have a few black "splotchy" markings on the sides and edges of their wings. The only way I can describe it is it almost looks like a brindle pattern. They have been this way for almost the entire time I've had them. Along the way of my parrot ownership, I learned about what "stress bars" were and began to worry that my guys had this. But another breeder said this is actually exclusively common to caiques because they are so active and wrestle. I've seen my two wrestle and roughhouse with each other pretty intensely, getting their wings and feathers beat up from rolling around the cage tops. They are on a diet primarily of Bountiful Harvest blend mixed with occasional Roudybush pellets. They also get a mix of chopped fresh veggies and fruits weekly. I initially wanted to blame these markings on nutritional deficiencies but I'm not sure how this could happen if what I am offering them is all good for them? Perhaps they are being too picky and only eating certain things and ignoring other healthy foods?

Another thing that added to my concern was the "morning bomb" poo smelled a little strange this morning. I can't really explain the smell but just the fact that there was an odor at all was a red flag. I'm under the impression that healthy bird droppings should have no odor at all? I've never actually put my nose up to bird poo or anything but I could smell the "fumes" of the smell from Donnie's poo when I was crouched near the ground. Yes, their morning droppings are a large quantity but I don't know. The color was also a light greenish color...don't know if that means anything.

I know that I can't get medical advice here but I was mostly just wondering about their markings. They have gone to the vet before and the doctor ran the CBC test on one of them and it came out normal. I'm thinking I need to get their droppings tested as well and perhaps test for specific illnesses??

Sorry this is so long!! Any advice/info would be great! Thank you!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
While we wait for input can you take some pictures of the markings that concern you? :hug8:

cikim123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carolyn Kim
Good idea, here are some:

I also just noticed that I think it's gotten worse as time went by.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
If your birds play fairly rough it is not unusual for them to get black markings and rough looking feathers. It is always best to rule out any dietary deficiencies though

Deej

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Deena
Here are pictures of the boys after a bath. You can see the black markings on them also. It's because they beat the snot out of each other and play like brothers. I really wouldn't worry about the black on them.

Attachments

cikim123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carolyn Kim
Deej, your two are adorable! I'm relieved that mine aren't the only ones with these markings. I got worried cause whenever I saw photos of other caiques they were all perfectly green. :rolleyes:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
Black markings are often signs of rough and tumble play :) The smelly poo can be indicative of an infection, most likely yeast. But sometimes it's just something they ate, or smelly from being held all night (if caiques hold, I don't know). If you feel something might be off, trust your instinct and get it checked out!

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
You can add a couple of drops of Apple Cider Vinegar to their water and see if that helps with the smelly poo, I agree it could have been something that they ate along with it being an overnight poo.

Let us know what happens!!!

p.s. they are a couple of little cuties!!:)

cikim123

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carolyn Kim
You can add a couple of drops of Apple Cider Vinegar to their water and see if that helps with the smelly poo, I agree it could have been something that they ate along with it being an overnight poo.

Let us know what happens!!!

p.s. they are a couple of little cuties!!:)
Thank you for the suggestion! I never knew you could use apple cider vinegar! I'll see if that helps any.

And thank you!! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.