• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bright needs training

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
Advice seeking post...

I want and need to train Bright Eyes baby to step up. Problem is he is terrified of my hands.... suggestions?

I'm currently trying millet, low light, and talking.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I started with my cockatiel stepping up on my arm. He found that much less scary. Eventually we moved to the back of my hand out flat. Not matter how tame he became- and he was my little heart bird- he never liked to step up on fingers. So you could try that. Or try getting him to step up on a perch.

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
I started with my cockatiel stepping up on my arm. He found that much less scary. Eventually we moved to the back of my hand out flat. Not matter how tame he became- and he was my little heart bird- he never liked to step up on fingers. So you could try that. Or try getting him to step up on a perch.
Yeah, he's resisting all the way. When he firat came in he was doing fine. But this week Bright suddenly started screaming at my fingers. I'll give your suggestions a shot. It worked with one of my other birds...

Phocyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
So, first step out the door... my Bright flipped his lid and started shrieking. I like to get my birds outside when the weather is nice. Outside visit lasted all of 45 seconds. Is there any way to reduce fear when attempting this?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I assume he was in a travel cage? Try placing the cage right by an open door to start. Covering all but one side of his cage while you do this might help, and put his favorite treat in his cage too, which might distract him. Keep the session as short as you need. At the first sign of stress, bring him back inside. Over time you might be able to get him out the door, and eventually he hopefully will start to enjoy longer periods of time.