• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bricks for parrots?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Burt tries to chew chunks of the mortar out from between the bricks so I’m guessing that is what those birds are doing?
I don’t think it will be the actual red brick they are chewing chunks off but I could be wrong so if I am please someone tell me!

Reactions: Ali

Nightstar

Meeting neighbors
I don't see wild parakeets do the same to buildings without a brick finish though. If it was only the mortar, I think they would be spotted chewing it on other kinds of walls too. Plus, they are doing the same kind of social gatherings as parrots feeding on natural clay banks, which suggests they are doing this same behavior and looking specifically for the clay.

Last edited:

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
A quick search brought up this product. I'm not familiar with it at all, but it seems to be what you're looking for:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So the reason that they eat clay is because of nutritional deficiencies. People think that just because that's what they would eat in the wild means that that's what's best for them. Animals in the wild often have shorter life expectancies than in captivity, for a variety of reasons, one of which being diet. Wild animals are opportunistic and will eat what is available, not necessarily what is best for them.

If your bird is eating a balanced diet, there should be no reason to feed them clay or bricks.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
And before anyone feeds their bird bricks/clay, they sure as heck had better have a complete scientific analysis of what the materials consist of.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
My Amazons would get out on the floor and chew the mortar between the bricks of the fireplace hearth.
Plexiglass to the rescue. I never have and never will use any fireplace, so I'm not worried about heat by plexiglass, I don't know if it would be a problem or not for others.

Nightstar

Meeting neighbors
Oh I mainly thought about it as a chew “toy”, not really a dietary supplement XD. Specially because I think my Amazon’s beak is a bit too long.

Either way I’m not just going to dump a brick in his cage, this is mainly a thought that popped in my head and really got me wondering for a while, haha.

As a side note, I can’t help but find interesting how common it is for animals to instinctively search for clay as a mineral supplement... even humans do it. My family actually has a history of pregnant women “eating” bricks(they’d scrape it with spoons and eat the powder) because their body craved for more iron in their diet.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
My birds have had concrete blocks forever. They don’t eat them. They do try to whittle away at them. Manicures the beak pretty good.
E6FEA552-901B-42B1-9375-7049646D1FBE.jpeg

Nightstar

Meeting neighbors
That's really simple and ingenious. There's something very funny about the mental image of a human turning to their bird, smacking a concrete block and proudly announcing ''This is your toy now''. XD