• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Zebra Finches.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Hi everybody... Some of you may already be aware that I lost all my baby finches for those who saw my other post. There were a number of reasons why the parents decided to kill/abandon there young.

I am first time bird breeder and I'm going to start again. I have some new nest boxes that just arrived in the mail. I haven't installed them in the aviary just yet. The old nests were made from soda bottles and the finches may have felt to exposed among other things which might have been the cause.

I want to make sure I do all I can to avoid this from happening again. Hopefully the new nest boxes should make the finches feel more secure, I have 13 Zebra finches and 12 nest boxes so there are plenty of nest boxes for each pair of finch.

The finches are in an indoor aviary.

I've created a list of things that could have caused the parents to abandon there young.
Exposure
Diet
Seasonal changes
Less day light hours
Change in temperature
Central heating
Possibly finches fighting over partners.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd venture to say that zebra finches might be the easiest bird in captivity to successfully breed. I had a single pair of zebras that produced many healthy chicks over the years. They had a little wooden mostly enclosed box that hung from the side of the cage. Do you have all your finches in a single space? If so, perhaps that is a problem?

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I'd venture to say that zebra finches might be the easiest bird in captivity to successfully breed. I had a single pair of zebras that produced many healthy chicks over the years. They had a little wooden mostly enclosed box that hung from the side of the cage. Do you have all your finches in a single space? If so, perhaps that is a problem?
I have them all together in a large aviary. It might be difficult to divide birds up into separate breeding cages because I'm unsure of who is paired up to who. Also catching them could present a real challenge. I will see how things go with the wooden nest boxes and work from there.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I'll also get some S76 and put some drops in there water just to be on the safe side.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
I have just installed the new nest boxes and the finches are exploring them. I decided not to remove the old nests just yet I will leave the old nests in for a few more days just to see what happens.

fluff86

Walking the driveway
Is there any specific food I need to be giving them while they rear there young?

I have been feeding crushed boiled egg with the shell, dried mill worms, they get there regular seed mix. I was giving them some greens but it always goes to waste they never touch it so I stopped putting it in for them.

I'm going to try a new mix.

Cooked Brown Rice. I will cook up a batch of this and freeze it and use what I need for each day.

Boiled Egg with the shell.

Porridge Oats

Some leafy greens such as spinach, wild rocket

Meal Worms

I will mix it all in food processor and give it to them that way.

Would this be enough?

What would people recommend?