• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Yellow Bibbed Lories

Jogging around the block
I've recently been looking at the less popular species of parrot and Yellow Bibbed Lories have caught my eye. I really wanted something that maybe in the future I could breed, without feeling that they would just end up in a rescue, that's why I was looking for the less common. There are about 3 registered breeders in NZ that sell quite often.
I liked the fact about these birds that they were intelligent, good talkers, and not that difficult to tame. And I know this isn't a good reason, but I really love the colours and build of the bird, along with their size. I was looking for a bird that would not only be a breeding bird but something I could have that I would smother with attention and mental stimulation which having the ability to be tamed helps.
From my research on this I have found mixed views on the rarity of this bird in it's natural habitat, Solomon Islands, I found one article suggesting that they were endangered, one article saying that they were actually rather common, and the rest said nothing about the rarity of the bird it's self but all species of bird from the Solomon Islands were likely to become critically endangered from habitat loss by humans. I would like to help preserve this bird both for having stock to reintroduce to the wild if it becomes necessary and to keep it alive for bird enthusiasts to enjoy as a captive animal.

I haven't bred birds before and I would hate to endanger the lives of any birds, let alone the rarer types. I do not know if I would be a good candidate to help preserve this bird for that reason.

I am very much still in the researching phase of considering this bird and if I ever do breed it will be a rather long time away.

Any views are welcome (both negative and positive) and any links to information on this bird is greatly appreciated.

Jogging around the block
A couple hours later I am not sure why I didn't put this in the Breeders Boulevard section :banghead:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Jogging around the block
I suppose it is a more appropriate spot, yes please. Thankyou Shez! :)

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
Here's an (older) account of someone who bred them if that's helpful to you at all.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
From my research on this I have found mixed views on the rarity of this bird in it's natural habitat, Solomon Islands, I found one article suggesting that they were endangered, one article saying that they were actually rather common, and the rest said nothing about the rarity of the bird it's self but all species of bird from the Solomon Islands were likely to become critically endangered from habitat loss by humans
I wonder if maybe @Monica or @expressmailtome may know something more...

As for the breeding aspect, just make sure you do your research, have a good wedge of cash available and a means to get to the vet quickly if needed, as well as all the equipment and the time available to dedicate. Most breeders like to leave the young with their parents for a while until the feathers are coming through, but sometimes chicks can be abandoned earler unfortunately. (Though I´m sure you know all of this already.
If you can get friendly with a breeder, even of a similar species, it can be a huge help :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
CITES lists them as Appendix II (See more here on what that means)

IUCN Red List says "Least Concern"

Be aware that breeders generally don't make good pets

Do contact the breeders you can find to get more information on care and breeding of the birds. It may also be helpful to know where their stock came from as it's possible the breeders do share bloodline and if you were to get birds from separate breeders you could potentially be getting birds much closer related than you may expect.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If you are serious about breeding this species in the future, then I would recommend that you purchase this book: A Guide to Lories and Lorikeets (Revised Edition) . It is very detailed and will give you an idea of what to expect and what you will need to do and purchase.