• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding white face’s

Hopie

Moving in
Real Name
Hope Bailey
I have a female cinnamon white face split to pied and a male white face split to pied and another visual pied cinnamon white face male. I’ve heard breeding same mutations can cause some issues and I’m just curious on if she bred with either of them what issues would arise? I’m not planning to breed them, the female is separated but I’m curious as I haven’t been able to find an answer!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Cinnamon are my fave mutation is tiels. If you wanted to breed for cinnamon then you would have to breed her to a cinnamon or split to cinnamon. Being a sex linked gene it the dad would have to carry for visuals to be born and you would get babies of both babies being cinnamon. Otherwise your male babies would just be split to cinnamon and no babies would be visual.
Now the issue with some whitefaces is that they have a poorer feather quality. There seem to be several in my area that even touching a whiteface feathers feels different from a normal's. They are softer and not as sturdy. My male that came from rescue has constant broken tail feathers and can no longer grow out flights because they were constantly damaged causing the follicles to become so damaged that nothing can grow. I've seen it in several white face. Of course when I talk to show breeder friends they dont have the issue. So if I get whiteface it will be from their stock.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Generally speaking, it's breeding lutinos together that it's recommended to avoid.

Most other mutations are fine to breed together - as long as they have good feather quality, coverage and are of good sized birds.