• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding tame macaws

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
If you are serious about breeding I think a good stepping stone is joining a society that specifically focuses on your ambitions. Macaw Society or Hybrid Macaw Society, in addition you can join a parrot society. Breeding is a complicated and becomes a lifestyle. Connecting yourself to a network of support is a good idea. For example your local Hybrid macaw society will know which birds are related, shouldn't be bred and should enforce good husbandry.

If any of us get a bit jumpy when people ask breeding questions in the forum it isn't intended to be offensive. It is just startling when someone asks a few sentences and then actually starts breeding. Then in weeks time they come back in a mad panic because the eggs didn't hatch or the chicks died. The reality of breeding is that this forum cannot offer the support required to help set one up for breeding. You really need to find mentor-ship and someone you can call at 2am who know exactly how to help.

There are probably societies near you. If you decide after learning the ropes that you don't want to breed you can continue participating in the society. Lots to learn and typically very bird positive approaches to husbandry in addition to breeding ethos.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If you can weather the suspicion, questions, insults, aggression, and everything else thrown at you, and still persevere, then you might be breeder material.

You'll need strength, drive, determination, heart, and a goal that is rock solid in your mind.
It's an uphill battle, but a challenge that is winnable if you really desire it.

One more thing, even the roughest of us, will still help if asked.
You may not like how we answer, but the help will be there.
In time, you'll become a respected and valued member if you stick it out.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Thank you. I love a challenge!
I honestly think that what the last couple commenters wrote is spot on. There are so many people who pop in and say they want to breed and then later return with dying babies not having any idea what they did wrong. Mentorship is key. Speak with Macaw breeders, not just breeders in general. A society is probably a great idea. You'll need to find some old timers to help you and many are willing to share. If you are new to breeding then you should learn from the old timers and incorporate new ideas from the last 20 years or so many things have changed. That is how you will advance the hobby of aviculture. Buy some books, talk to your vet, learn everything you can. It is far more involved than it seems. I only have three pairs of birds and I have 5 brooders and an incubator and countless other pieces of equipment. I have two rooms dedicated to just the birds and spend hours each day and hundreds of dollars a month on the birds.

I only raise small birds. I would think that a pair of breeding macaws would need a room sized enclosure. They also need privacy to some extent. If the parents are not reliable at feeding then you will need to be able to hand feed them. You will need brooders to keep babies warm and you will need it all in place just in case because by the time you know that you need it it will be too late to have time to purchase it.

Forget about travel. I thought I would have some time off and one pair of my birds laid eggs at an odd time. No break for me. I had to take babies on vacation with me, LOL! Fortunately there were only two and I only went to visit my parents.

Breeding is a very long term commitment and a real labor of love. When you sell the babies you will need to screen and find families for them. A good breeder will also offer support as to behavior, care and also rehoming later on if needed. You'll only get paid for the baby, the rest you will do for free. If you love it it will not seem like work but if you don't love it the birds will suffer for it because it will become oppressive.

Also everyone in your home needs to have roughly the same level of commitment to the project. They will all be affected by the project.

I do not at all discourage breeding. I only discourage breeding by the unprepared. When you meet someone the first time it is hard to know if they are the type of person who will get prepared and succeed. Only time will tell. People are always a bit wary but if you are open then eventually you will gain peoples respect.

Also, the animal rights movement and adopt don't shop has caused people to frown upon breeding so it is certainly something that you have to know your own heart about and have a thick skin. People generally appreciate responsible and helpful breeders once they get to know you :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Laurie :cheer:

Yes yes yes!

Breeding any animal (including having human children) is such a serious undertaking. If all breeders considered the complexities both in husbandry and emotional toll, there would probably be a lot less animal suffering. At one point in my life I thought about breeding, but after my research I decided I couldn't handle the emotional toll. I am a member of the Parrot Society and I go to meetings and listen to talks. Most society members share all aspects of their breeding experience, the great and the horrible. The horrible can be very emotionally challenging, one presenter who is a highly respected and careful breeder lost 4 baby macaws in a single accident. I personally couldn't handle the bad sides of breeding.

I do adopt baby poultry and I enjoy raising baby birds. Breeding is something I couldn't do. I tend to adopt chicks that haven't been given the best start in life, such as my chicken with scoliosis (scoliosis presents in chickens in relation to poor breeding practice, when a poorly guided chicken breeder crosses siblings). When I take on new chicks I have 6-8 weeks that I rarely leave my house/property. Even little chickens and ducks require continuous observation, nurturing and educational stimulation and they are precocial.

This is why I deeply respect breeders who take their role seriously. In my opinion it is the only way anyone should be if they bring news lives into this world.

Last edited: