• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding senior aged Doves, strange question

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Okay, crazy question..

My dove (Baby) is at least 25/26 yrs old.

We bought him from a Pet store when he was around a month old.

I have no papers to say where he came from or to prove how old he is, but as he gets older I am desperate for him to pass on his genes.

Realistically, I know I cant take in another (female) dove, let alone 1-3 potential baby doves that I will struggle to find homes for. Not many people in my area seem to love them as much as I do, not to mention the worry of picking good homes.

Anyways, I am just wondering what are my options? Are there like stud options for doves? Is that even a thing?

What is my best option for passing on his genes and the chance of raising/keeping one of his offspring? Maybe, I am being too selfish, i just hate to lose him.

Please help

Thanks

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I do not know at what age males usually stop being fertile, but @Birdbabe may know more. I have never heard of people just putting a dove with another dove for the purpose of breeding, and then separating them like dogs.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It is my understanding that doves are a bit like lovebirds (monogamous) in that they form a bond and stay with that dove, breeding with the same partner until they lose the partner, then eventually they will move on.
There is a pair of doves who visit me daily, they have had so many clutches of chicks together (always 2 per clutch for them I know because they bring me their shells once the chicks hatch).

Ephy

Walking the driveway
Yeah, i guess I already knew this, sorry

It is hard because he is getting on in his age and it will be so hard to lose him. I worry a lot.

He has just been with me for most of my life, and(all of his) I just want to hold on to whatever piece of him I can.

I know deep down, he would need to bond with a female, but I guess I am just terrified of bringing in another bird, and then the stress of ensuring healthy babies are raised and hardest, finding homes for them.
I already feel selfish for wanting to breed him, when considering all the these facts,

He is just such an amazing bird, it will be so painful to lose him.

I hope i havent come across as a monster, i would never subject my babies to anything I didnt think wasn't okay for them.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Honestly, let him live out his old age with you...its hard to lose our babies, but, when it's time, its time..I know my 20 year old dove wont be around forever, but, she drags around now, dosent fly anymore..would I put her through stress wanting babies from her? NO! Your not a monster, cherish the time you have..