• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Jardines

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
Hello everyone,
I have been wondering how difficult it is to breed jardine parrots. I have bred cockatiels before, but I have always thought of them as generally easy birds to breed. So here are my questions.

-Noise level
How loud are they? I have heard that jardine's and pois in general are quiet, but I also know that some birds get really loud during breeding season.

-Mate aggression
Are jardine's typically mate aggressive? If so are there ways to prevent injuries? Also I have seen a pair for sale and the female had a plucked head, but was not completely bald, she still has down on her head.

-Clutch size and Hatch rates
What are their average hatch rates and clutch sizes? Are their ways to increase hatch rates?

-Breeding season
When is their breeding season?

-Handfeeding
I have handfed cockatiels and would plan on handfeeding the baby jardine's. Is their anything different between handfeeding jardine's and cockatiels?

-Miscellaneous
Do they have any quirks I might have missed or should know about?

Thank you in advance. I have always been interested in jardine's, and love handfeeding baby birds.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is their anything different between handfeeding jardine's and cockatiels?
yes. Amount per feeding, and weaning age.

-Noise level
How loud are they? I have heard that jardine's and pois in general are quiet,
-Miscellaneous
Do they have any quirks I might have missed or should know about?
@Mizzely ?

If you don´t own these birds already, you will want to have them at least 6 months before allowing breeding so that you know they are on a good balanced diet, and have been vetted. If eggs are laid in that transition time period, best to destroy them unless you are very very confident of the person you get them from.

I would look for a visually healthy pair, with no plucking, or other visual imperfections. From there you will need a vet to declare them illness and disease free.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mine is pretty quite but not all are. They seem to go through bratty hormonal periods - mine is super sweet but twice a year he gets very protective of his "nest" area. They are prone to respiratory infections and need a diet with plenty of Vitamin A to prevent it.

They need a lot of wood to chew. Mine can go through $50 to $100 worth of toys a month easily.

A good resource would be Jean Pattison of African Queen Aviaries. I don't believe she has Jardine's anymore but she did/does breed other Poicephalus

Other resources:

RobbinHood

Meeting neighbors
Thank you @Mizzely and @Zara, your responses are helpful.
Is it alright if the female has a plucked head? I thought since it is on the head it is the males fault, right? Is this a signal of a diseases or bad habit?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's almost impossible to know without being able to observe the pair. You can't know everything based on a photo