• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Jardine as pet

JapanBirdLover

Strolling the yard
I’ve been thinking for a while about getting a Poicephalus, but still thinking about what species would be a mutual match... I recently saw an opportunity to adopt a 4-year old red-fronted(Jardine). But this girl has been kept not as a pet but for breeding by a parrot breeder, and I wonder if that should make me hesitate. I have some experience with parrots (GCC, linnies, a tiel, finches) but not a whole lot, so if this sets any alarm bells ringing I will pass and think a little while longer. Any advice?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Is there any chance you can go and meet her? See how you get on and if you two click? :)

JapanBirdLover

Strolling the yard
Is there any chance you can go and meet her? See how you get on and if you two click? :)
Yes, that is probably the logical thing to do. I guess it’s s 90-minute journey by car so perhaps this weekend.
Only I’m such a big softie I’ll fall in love immediately, I always do.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I hope whatever you decide you feel is the right thing to do. I think it is important to know that a companion bird may act differently in the original home than when you remove them from what is familiar to your unfamiliar home. Perhaps the birds owner would let you have a few weeks with the bird in your home to see how things go. This is done with most adoptions from rescues because they don't want the bird or you to be unhappy.

JapanBirdLover

Strolling the yard
I hope whatever you decide you feel is the right thing to do. I think it is important to know that a companion bird may act differently in the original home than when you remove them from what is familiar to your unfamiliar home. Perhaps the birds owner would let you have a few weeks with the bird in your home to see how things go. This is done with most adoptions from rescues because they don't want the bird or you to be unhappy.
Thanks @Lady Jane yes maybe I could try a few weeks... however, I didn’t plan on getting a poi until next spring, at the earliest, but I just noticed the Jardine, so... I guess I’m not at all ready and I shouldn’t rush. I should probably take my time a little more.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Taking your time when finding a companion bird for you is always a wise decision.

JapanBirdLover

Strolling the yard
Taking your time when finding a companion bird for you is always a wise decision.
Yes, you are right, of course. I won’t be ready for a few months yet, so no reason to rush. I should pass on this and look for a companion poi when I’m ready, rather than rushing to get ready after I find the bird.