• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding green cheeks

Kmc2407

Checking out the neighborhood
I have been considering breeding green cheeks for some time. However, trying to locate someone to mentor has been non existent. I have a few people who will answer a few questions and never hear from them again. I get it we all have lives but it’s frustrating when you have real questions you need answered or at least pushed into the right direction.
I have done tons of research and now trying to do more genetic research on mutations and such. I have several questions and my main goal is to make sure my breeders are happy and healthy not breeding machines in tiny cages with no enrichment or a crap diet.

Ill list a few questions..
1) I live in north eastern Ky so we get temps up to 100 in summer and below freezing in dead of winter. I’m planning to put a building outside for my birds and hope to possibly add on an aviary. Does anyone else have an outdoor building they keep their breeders/cages in? I know I’ll need a heat source, an A/C good ventilation, insulation but has anyone used a metal building? My husband said that could be dangerous as it could turn into an oven although one breeder told me he uses a metal
Building…? Thoughts/advice on an outdoor/building set up? When babies are pulled they will be raised indoors with us.

2) cage size for GCC breeders? Is 38Lx18Wx20H large enough? What about 30x18x20?

3)what about diet? What is a good well rounded diet? I had a breeder tell me they do pellets, seed, egg food, oyster shell and offer a cuttle bone in the cage. I would personally also offer chop/fresh veggies etc,.. are bird vitamins necessary?

4)Avian lighting? Do you offer specific lighting for them?

Thank you!

Jogging around the block
Bump
Some more conure experienced members should be able to answer soon about your questions.
I think it's really good you are looking for a breeder that treats it's birds well, I hope you can find a mentor!