• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Golden Conures

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancha

Sprinting down the street
Does anyone know what it would take, license-wise, to breed Queen of Bavaria conures? It is really something I would love to do some day. They are beautiful birds and I would love to contribute to their numbers, which are, of course, very low. Plus I know a lot of people would love them as companions. I know they are difficult to find and I would have to travel or have them shipped and it will be years before I do anything in terms of breeding such birds, but... It would be great to know any information anyone has about breeding them and acquiring a healthy pair some day. If I ever do I would intend to get them set up in something akin to an aviary (indoor if we are still in Canada; perhaps outdoor if we, as we hope to do, move to Arizona).

DutchHillAviary

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kevin
I don't know about Canada, but in the US you need a CITES permit to move/transfer them across state lines. So say for instance you lived in AZ, unless you had a permit, you could only buy a pair that were already in AZ, you could not have any shipped to you from another state. Also, if your pair gave you babies, the only way to sell them out of AZ would be if you AND the buyer both had the permit. You could sell the babies to anyone in AZ without a permit. In fact, it is illegal to drive to another state to purchase them. Basically if they leave the state they were hatched in, you must have a permit. Hopes this helps.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Wow I did not know anything about permits for these birds.
When will this change? When their numbers (in captivity??) go up?
Why must you have a permit? Is this the only species you need this for?

vancha

Sorry for my late response to this thread!
Golden conures are beautiful birds. They are also incredibly rare, endangered in the wild and very difficult to find in captivity. So that is probably why you require a license, although I would not know completely. It is reminding me very much of the thread that mentions a bill making the transport of exotics illegal. I'll have to look more into the permits necessary, because I don't know exactly how one would even get a permit. And Jessica, as far as I know, this is the only parrot you need one for...

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
This is very interesting. information. I would see if there is a club or society and ask them what they can tell you regarding these questions. Let us know.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Don't know the details about breeding. Let us know what info you find out.:D

Here is my golden girl, Regan

Attachments

southernbirds

Every time I see Regan or other Goldens, my heart just melts. You are one lucky lady, Marlene.

vancha

I just love Regan. Golden conures are among my very favorite birds... I would love to work with them! Just spectacular. Can you tell me anything about Regan's personality and behaviors? I've never had the pleasure of meeting a golden conure, nonetheless even hearing about what sort of personalities they have. All I've heard is that they are loud... But that is to be expected!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Goldens are not the only ones needing the special federal permit. Vinaceous Amazon is another. This is what Nancy Speed (breeder of both goldens and venaceous parrots ) has to say about getting permits

"Individuals interested in obtaining a captive bred permit may obtain further information from the United States Fish and Wildlife Service in Washington, D.C. The application for a captive bred permit can also be downloaded from their website at U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Home. The tenacity required to complete the application as required reflects on the true dedication of the interested applicant."

There is proposals to add a number of other birds to this process also
Scarlet, military macaws, moluccans, goffins, lesser sulfer crested and several others.

Peggy

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
I just love Regan. Golden conures are among my very favorite birds... I would love to work with them! Just spectacular. Can you tell me anything about Regan's personality and behaviors? I've never had the pleasure of meeting a golden conure, nonetheless even hearing about what sort of personalities they have. All I've heard is that they are loud... But that is to be expected!
Best kept secret around. They are the sweetest gentlest birds you would want to meet. They are little snuggle bugs as well. Throw in the comic quality of conures and you could not ask for a nicer pet. Yes, they are loud. If you have a problem with your birds being loud this may not be a choice. But, if your birds are generally quiet and you know how to work with noisy birds these are just great. Mine greet me when I come home and they may sound an alert call. Other than that they are quiet.

Peggy and Annie and Sunny

vancha

Thank you very much; they sound utterly sweet. By the way... You wouldn't happen to know if there are any conservation efforts with them, would you? If they are so very rare, it would be interesting to know what is going on with their wild counterparts...

rlkblk

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
barry
They can be very loud (louder then our u2) but as others have stated they are very snuggly/comical/playful, they love to eat and will try anything and are very active.
To give you an Idea about their personality, the other day I was cleaning their cage paper, they got down on the grate and started wrestleing, both on their backs rolling around, when I stopped to look at what they were doing they both stopped and looked at me like ........ what?
Dont know much about the permit, but from what I've read the permit is for breeding them and not just anyone will be issued a permit, the permit is not intended for people who want to purchase them as pets, someone correct me if im wrong

southernbirds

I have not heard that you need a permit to purchase. But whose to say if someone has tow and they breed, do you then need a purchase to sell. I have looked at Goldens and no one ever mentioned a permit. One was a store and another was a breeder. Good question.

rlkblk

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
barry
I have not heard that you need a permit to purchase. But whose to say if someone has tow and they breed, do you then need a purchase to sell. I have looked at Goldens and no one ever mentioned a permit. One was a store and another was a breeder. Good question.
since you live in Florida you can purchase and sell in state, in SC we can also
but you could not sell me one across state line unless we both have a pemit

Status
Not open for further replies.