• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding budgies

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
I have 2 pair of English Budgies set up in spacious breeding cages that are currently stacked with wooden nest boxes. They are in a South facing room with a window. The bottom cage is darker because it is below the other one. Would it be better if I added some plant grow full spectrum lights on timers?
Also, I read in a parakeet breeding book that it is better to have at least 3 pairs of breeders to stimulate breeding activity. Do I need get another pair? And that it would be better to put them all in one larger flight cage with 1 more nest box than pairs, suggested for the novice breeder, especially. Is it far more difficult to pair breed them individually?
Many years ago I had 2o pairs of parakeets on a porch in a screened in aviary and there were lots of babies, however this time around I choose to do English Budgies and be more selective. I am feeding them veges & greens 3 times weekly along with a quality mixed seed & pellet diet.
I would greatly appreciate any tips on helping these birds along in their process.

Attachments

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Do not breed in the same cage! Colony breeding can go horribly wrong in so many ways.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I personally am not really a big fan of avairy style breeding except for really small birds like finches. A lot can go wrong in aviary style breeding so pairs is usually a much better option. I would first look into making sure the birds are all healthy and in breeding condition prior to looking into another pair or anything like that. From breeders I've spoken with over the years English Budgies seem to be harder to breed than American Budgies. Not sure how true it is but that's just the information I received. Make sure they're healthy, not overweight, or having any underlying health issues. I would ensure they're on a really healthy diet and make sure they're getting plenty of good lighting. Health should be the first thing you really get into.

Also I forgot to ask, how old are these birds?

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
I bought them from a reputable breeder in Texas. She said they are just under a year. She had planned to keep them to breed in her aviary however had too many. They seem quite healthy and well adjusted so far. As far as lighting, they are in a South facing room with over 12 hrs natural light, however because the cages are stacked, lower cage is a little darker As you can see from the above picture. I’m going to start sprouting some seed for an additionally healthy diet.

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
Nest boxes: should I fill nest boxes with pine shavings to just below the hole entrance? If not, how much?
Utube ongoing parakeet chatter: is this a good thing for stimulating breeding?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There’s a seed sprouting guide stickied, I believe in the Feathered Food Court.

Juliebird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julia Gaunt
I personally am not really a big fan of avairy style breeding except for really small birds like finches. A lot can go wrong in aviary style breeding so pairs is usually a much better option. I would first look into making sure the birds are all healthy and in breeding condition prior to looking into another pair or anything like that. From breeders I've spoken with over the years English Budgies seem to be harder to breed than American Budgies. Not sure how true it is but that's just the information I received. Make sure they're healthy, not overweight, or having any underlying health issues. I would ensure they're on a really healthy diet and make sure they're getting plenty of good lighting. Health should be the first thing you really get into.

Also I forgot to ask, how old are these birds?
I bought them from a reputable breeder in Texas. She said they are just under a year. She had planned to keep them to breed in her aviary however had too many. They seem quite healthy and well adjusted so far. As far as lighting, they are in a South facing room with over 12 hrs natural light, however because the cages are stacked, lower cage is a little darker As you can see from the above picture. I’m going to start sprouting some seed for an additionally healthy diet.