• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding budgies

AndyG

Moving in
Real Name
Andre
I have two pairs. Both tame. One pair is just one year and the other is unknown (rescues but definitely over one)

I was kind of hoping to breed them. The pair of unknown age feeds each other. The other pair is almost always together but not preening Or feeding each other.

I was hoping to have babies.

articles say to mist budgies with water, give a box and they will get at it. It’s not happening.

can anyone give me some real step by steps?

they eat seed, mash, egg, pellets and seed as a treat from my hand.Pretty sure they are in tip top shape but the ceres aren’t dark on the hens.
Ideas? Steps? I feel like I’m missing something since apparently this is ‘so easy’

AndyG

Moving in
Real Name
Andre
I have two pairs. Both tame. One pair is just one year and the other is unknown (rescues but definitely over one)

I was kind of hoping to breed them. The pair of unknown age feeds each other. The other pair is almost always together but not preening Or feeding each other.

I was hoping to have babies.

articles say to mist budgies with water, give a box and they will get at it. It’s not happening.

they eat seed, mash, egg, pellets and seed as a treat from my hand.Pretty sure they are in tip top shape but the ceres aren’t dark on the hens.
Ideas? Steps? I feel like I’m missing something since apparently this is ‘so easy’

Little bit

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joanne
How old are your parakeets? I know this sounds silly but are they male and female? Sometimes depending on color it's hard to tell. Joanne

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
but the ceres aren’t dark on the hens
They're not ready to breed.
If you're determined to breed start preparing now, it's a little late to learn when there's chicks in the nest. You'll also need to invest in a brooder, gram scales, feeding equipment should the parents not feed any chicks. I think you should get a mentor as well to guide you through the intricacies when it happens, an experienced breeder.
You probably have a lot to learn, do it now while you have time - things go wrong pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
There are replies in your other thread

@Zara can you merge?

AndyG

Moving in
Real Name
Andre
One pair is one year. Definitely male and female. The female is diluted but she cane partly crusted... a lighter crust. That, of course, went away when she was settling in. That and she definitely has that female feistiness.

One pair is over a year but I’m not sure if they might be an older couple (rescue). I can’t find any research on how to tell if they are more mature. Anything info I find Depicts young, old enough, or broody. For all I know they could be up there in years.

all I was looking for are things to check and do to promote a good environment for them.

not the first birds I’ve had breed. Just the first budgies. I’ve have success with owl finches, Gouldian finches and societies (that will do it the second you give a nest lol)
How old are your parakeets? I know this sounds silly but are they male and female? Sometimes depending on color it's hard to tell. Joanne

AndyG

Moving in
Real Name
Andre
They're not ready to breed.
If you're determined to breed start preparing now, it's a little late to learn when there's chicks in the nest. You'll also need to invest in a brooder, gram scales, feeding equipment should the parents not feed any chicks. I think you should get a mentor as well to guide you through the intricacies when it happens, an experienced breeder.
You probably have a lot to learn, do it now while you have time - things go wrong pretty quickly.
oh this isn’t the first birds I’ve bred ever.... just the first budgies. I’m good. Thank you for the suggestions though.

AndyG

Moving in
Real Name
Andre
There are replies in your other thread

@Zara can you merge?
Thanks for that. Said it didn’t post the first time and I had to wait. I didn’t realize I’d posted twice

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think this page could be just what you are looking for. Take the time to read it all, including the parts about ethics, supply/demand, problems, etc;

Edit; I see you have bred finches before. Just keep in mind there are some differences between them and hookbills. It´s why I never get involved in the finch breeding theads. The article I posted will give you a better understanding of what to expect with budgies :)

Last edited:

AndyG

Moving in
Real Name
Andre
Thank you!!!

I just joined so I’ll do more reading to see if I can find The answers now. Just went straight to budgies . Thank you!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of the most important things to consider is what you will do with the babies. Depending on where you are, budgies may be common in rescues and on gumtree, craigslist etc. How will you ensure that the babies you breed won't end up bounced between homes, neglected or worse?

You want to breed from at least one pair from an unknown background, which means that you know nothing about their line or the genes they carry. You have no information on whether there are health issues in the line, lifespan, temperament issues and so on. You don't seem to have a systematic approach or a set of goals in breeding - for example, breeding for a superb temperament using birds from a line that is known to be steady, or breeding for specific colour mutations and having meticulous records of parents, grandparents, great-grandparents and so on, or entering the rarified atmosphere of breeding show budgies. I mention these because these are birds that do sell easily and breeders even keep waiting lists for chicks.

Depending on where you are, there may already be an oversupply of budgies. Your babies will not be from an established line and may or may not carry interesting mutations. To you they will be precious, but to the rest of the world they will be ordinary and cheap, one of hundreds of ordinary budgies for sale.

In addition, breeding is tough on birds. It takes a tremendous amount of energy to lay, incubate, feed and raise chicks. Adults, especially hens, can end up malnourished because all their energy goes into raising their clutch.

Personally I wouldn't breed from these birds. Two of them are already rescues. They can form pairs and do all the fun stuff that comes with being in a pair, but you can either swap the eggs out for dummy eggs or boil the eggs. The embryo doesn't start growing until the hen starts to incubate the eggs, so you won't be harming an unborn chick. Just let your pairs hang out, eat, fly, play and enjoy being birds.